FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advertising as a solution...?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Terrabucks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grakkune
Simple

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Advertising as a solution...? Reply with quote

I entirely understand that there are great costs associated with bringing a quality game like this to the masses. I tried to poke around the forum pretty thoroughly before posting here, and that being said... I never once saw mention that selling adspace on the website or even in-game had been considered as a source of revenue (How hard would it be to slightly restructure the deployed forces screen so that a small ad also refreshes every turn?).

The meta-rewards really arn't an acceptable alternative (for many reasons already discussed elsewhere at great length), though I applaud the effort in trying to establish a way for people to gain full access to the game for free. All the other methods of gaining such access (I believe eight is the stated total) either entail a direct cost, or are far to arbitrary (random giveaways spread over the entire active population) or difficult to achieve (high tourney rankings against paid players with advanced mechs) to really be considered.

So, here's my proposal... if advertising could be succesfully integrated into the game, then all active players would generate a small amount of TinyBucks every midnight based on how many ad-clicks there had been that day (the number of clicks directly affecting the money made by the site). In a sense, everybody would be working together to have the ADVERTISERS pay for the server costs, and we would all share the reward. I think this would be appealing to both regular payers to increase their TB generation, and ESPECIALLY non-payers.

I was thinking something on the order of 1-3TB a day, depending on what click-quantity benchmark had been reached that day. Sure, it may take a week or two, but then ALL players would have access to new Construx on a somewhat regular basis. Or, if they wanted to save up, non-payers could become active for periods of time (1 month on, 1-2 off...). I think this would be a win-win solution all around, with minimum disruption to the site and game structure.

The only thing I would like to add, if this system WOULD work, perhaps the restrictions on non-payers should be lifted? It seems entirely arbitrary that they not be allowed access to the higher-level Construx they DID manage to get in their first measely two sets...

Thanks for your consideration! I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about this idea...

[edit: I apologize if anyone thinks it inappropriate that this is posted in the 'TinyBucks' rather than 'Suggestions' catagory, but due to the specific nature of the post I felt this was the place for it.]

[edit2: If the advertising solution would be to difficult to implement, perhaps just instituting a 1TB/day policy for everyone would give the active non-payers enough reason to stick around? (Potentially, this could be the first phase of a transition process...) It still wouldn't be enough to do anything serious with for the current payers, but perhaps it would be a nice reward to those loyal to the game who can't/arn't willing to pay for it?]
Frizz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately this has been something I've been opposed to from the beginning.

It's not honest for the people who run the ads on the site (they want people who click because people want their product, not because those visitors are making a buck for someone else), it slows down the site, it takes away from the immersiveness of the game, and it just feels unprofessional.

Secondly, in-game ads don't generate that much revenue on their own (ie. if people are just clicking because they like what they see). And asking people to click on ads to get stuff in-game isn't honest - you're basically stealing from the people who paid for those ads.

Trust me - the Metareward system works very well. Some people have struggled with it; but that is the exception, not the norm. Keep in-mind these solutions are in-place as an alternative to paypal and moneybookers ... as you pointed out, it costs money to run the server, if you feel Tinywarz is "worth it" engage-your-brain and find a way to contribute using one of the many systems in-place. If you need a suggestion or two, please feel-free to message me in-game.

_f
Flostin
Harbinger of Death

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Quote:

The meta-rewards really arn't an acceptable alternative (for many reasons already discussed elsewhere at great length), though I applaud the effort in trying to establish a way for people to gain full access to the game for free. All the other methods of gaining such access (I believe eight is the stated total) either entail a direct cost, or are far to arbitrary (random giveaways spread over the entire active population) or difficult to achieve (high tourney rankings against paid players with advanced mechs) to really be considered.

I wish all new players could read what I am about to say. If you want 100% access to the game but do not want to pay anything, or use a credit card, or metarewards, or any of the other ways to get TB to become paid....then you DON'T have to. There are SEVERAL ways to get TB for free to become paid, based on how hard you're willing to work at it. If you're a new player, and actually play a decent amount of time, sell ore, sell some stuff you made maybe, gain some crews merits even, sell those.....You can get the creds to BUY the TB's off black market(They get cheaper all the time). Too much work for you? Not intersted enough in the game to want to do that? Ok....sit on your ass for 20 days and accumulate 1000 cmd(The max an unpaid can achieve), and a multitude of people will gladly trade you your 1000 cmd for 40 TB(If you have never been paid before).

You have several FREE ways to become paid listed right here, one all you have to do is log out for 20 days and come back...If you want it sooner, then work for it, buy the TB's become paid. Buy the TB's from the credits you make WORKING and achieving things in game, or sit on your arse and trade cmd for paid status....It's up to you:)
Grakkune
Simple

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frizz, Thank you for your honest and quick feedback. I admire your integrity... most people wouldn't care that the advertisers were getting a raw deal, they'd just be happy to have the money. I also respect your desire to keep your project clean and uncluttered. What you have created here goes far above and beyond any browser-based game I have stumbled upon before... and I get the sense that you have researched the advertising option at length before ruling it out... I will trouble you no more about it Smile

Flostin, thank you for the sage (if not somewhat course, heh) advice on the acquisition of TBs. As a new player myself, I had looked at the TBs on the blackmarket and thought there was no way I'd ever afford a handful, let alone enough to buy sets or paid days. I realize now that they're not quite so hard to accumulate as I initially thought *grin*.

HOWEVER, I am still concerned about the availability on the market in general... at present there arn't even enough affordable TBs available for ONE person to become paid, let alone the entire non-paying community that may be inclined to do so. Perhaps that's merely because the market is still getting off the ground... only time will tell I suppose!

In regard to trading command for TBs, this seems like an easy and more widely available option. I for one only recently discovered the "trade" chat channel, as it's not really covered in any of the newbie help material... since non-payers arn't allowed to "sell" command, I had ignorantly thought there was no way at all to use command as a bargaining chip. (Incedently, anyone wishing to place a standing order for command in exchange for TBs every few days, by all means message me... Wink )

Quote:
I wish all new players could read what I am about to say. If you want 100% access to the game but do not want to pay anything, or use a credit card, or metarewards, or any of the other ways to get TB to become paid....then you DON'T have to. There are SEVERAL ways to get TB for free to become paid, based on how hard you're willing to work at it.

Perhaps this information should be a little more promenently displayed to new players (in the new player guide, perhaps)? Now that I truely believe getting paid (without actually paying or getting spammed to death) is a possibility, I think I'll stick with this game a while more and see how things develop.
glexana
Simple

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're all ruling out the best way to get paid, (besides sitting on your ass)

Thats right people, I'm talking about... LEMONADE STAND!
paid costs what 2 bucks? (edit:$4) can you really not look under the couch coushins every now and then?
starwars
Simple

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of OUR OWN players would keep clicking any tinywarz ad JUST TO GET SOME TB.
Frizz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Revived Posts Batman!

_f
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Terrabucks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: