FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Commanding Issue, on Issuing Commands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kashiki
Simple

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: A Commanding Issue, on Issuing Commands Reply with quote

First and foremost, I want to give a big shout out and salute to the PGF crew on that relic planet earlier today. We had an excellent battle that ended up being very very close at one point, and if not for a well-played ambush by Dakravel, could have gone either way. Thank you for putting up an excellent match. I know that I don't have the best reputation for handling conflicts, but I think that it was one of the first true looks at the PvP system, and I want to thank everyone on both sides for remaining civil throughout the game.

That said, commands need to be reworked. I refrained from commenting on the earlier thread because I was on the opposite side of the argument. I couldn't speak from Cwarrior's point of view because I was the high level guy with all the commands. Now that things are starting to equalize a bit more in terms of experience, I can say that the system isn't very challenging. On a relic planet, 90 seconds is more than enough time to throw commands on every unit, and plan attacks and movement. The amount of battle spam it created was ridiculous. I would have to scroll all the way through a full page before seeing if my units had actually hit, and even further to see the casualty report. Having no limit on commands turns the battle into one without much strategy.

I'm sure that Frizz has a solution in the works for this, but part of the combat earlier today gave me an idea. I unfortunately lack the line of commands to boost my shields, and my opponents certainly had the ability to bring them down. I had to rely on Dak to keep my shields up while I worked on the offensive commands. Now, imagine that concept worked further in. Your commander can only bark out a few orders per turn. Which orders those are, it's up to you. But you can't cover all your bases by yourself. You'd have to rely on teammates to help out to use the full range of commands. This could even lead to more strategic opportunities. In larger factions, you can have players hanging out in a base acting as a sort of dispatcher, issuing commands from the safety of headquarters. This would give another reason for building a sturdy base, and another reason for aggressive players to sack it.

Commands add a whole new dimension to the battle. The unlimited aspect of them, however, refrain them from adding actual strategic value. As a higher level player, I didn't realize it at first, but now I feel more qualified to add in my own two cents. Please feel free to comment.
Frizz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, I was thinking of giving certain commands timers, but I like this idea as well. Very Happy

_f
Crappywarrior
Simple

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we discussed the idea of limiting commands in the other thread *cough cough*
Flostin
Harbinger of Death

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

GrimSweeper
Simple

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about limiting commands based on the 'tech-line' it follows? So if you issue an order EMP surge, you can't give any other orders from the EMP line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: