Joined: 06 May 2008
Location: Your hot sister's closet.
|Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:13 pm Post subject: Planet Ideas
|Read my original post here: http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?p=154953
Ok. So this particular topic is a difficult one for me. I have little to no experience regarding the node planets, and Mortum, and Rynn. With that said, I don't know if I could add any meaningful ideas about those planets. However, I feel I can add at least some GENERAL ideas.
One of the problems I have with this game is the amount of time it takes to do anything meaningful on a planet. To get your “money's worth” you've really got to commit, in most cases, to a long, protracted drop. I think this limits game play, severely, and just makes a more “casual” gamer much less likely to take interest in the game. Which is a problem.
Here's the rub: On one hand, I almost think there are too many planets. On the other hand, I feel like there needs to be more of a variety of things you can do. So anyway, here are some thoughts…
- Shorten the orbital period of most planets OR reduce drop cost by a % based on turns remaining. - Many times I login and would like to drop, but the planet I want to drop to is over 50% through it's orbit and won't hit horizon for 20 minutes. Not worth the drop, in other words. Well, guess what? In 20 minutes I've found a different game to play. Either of these would help, and I would not go crazy on the drop discount, but it should still be there. (See Improve Payouts below)
- Cut out some node planets and replace them with something else… - I think Rynn, and possibly Mortum, were steps in the right direction. But they need tweaked. I have no idea how...
- Improve the payouts – The Rynn run in particular seems somewhat of a waste. Konu and Esika are good examples because you get paid out better if you're able to drop early and defend what you take. Players who commit earlier, and to longer drops should have the potential for better payouts. However, there should still be at least some incentive to drop later too.
- Set SOME (or possibly most) planets to have a CE limit – Esika was a step in the right direction, although it stinks you can't drop after level 40. You shouldn't take game play away from higher level players. Setting a CE limit forces players to get MUCH more creative in their builds and units. (In Battletech, for example, many missions have a tonnage limit. Makes it fun trying to figure out the best build / unit to use.) I would NOT set any limit on any planet with Shak. If you want to drop big on that planet, go for it.
- Improve bases – I have little experience with this, but I've read on the forums how this needs fixed, so thought I'd mention it. There needs to be some sort of “wall” mechanic, or something. Your units should be safer inside a base than outside. I know shield generators helped with this some. But, you should be able to keep other units OUT of your base until the walls are breached too. One additional advantage would be for the walls to block line of sight for attackers. For example, if the walls are not-breached, the attacker can only see the first one or two lines of the interior of the base.
- Rebel Home World – There's a huge post about this somewhere on the forum, and it sounds fantastic.
ANY OTHER THOUGHTS OR IDEAS ARE APPRECIATED!
Chuck Norris does not read the Drop-Shock wiki, he stares it down until he gets the information he wants.