FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#95 - [Tweak] Merge Archeron and Mortum (added)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Player Council - Closed Tickets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ParalyzeD
Intermediate


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 461

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: #95 - [Tweak] Merge Archeron and Mortum (added) Reply with quote

https://sourceforge.net/p/dropshock/tickets/95/


double pvp windows on archeron
make mortum invisible
_________________
IGN : eV


Last edited by ParalyzeD on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wakka
Intermediate


Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support, not sure where this leaves the simple only changes, but the core of these planet designs don't encourage much competition and having two of them just accentuates that. Let's see whether the situation improves with just one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dark Leth
Council Member


Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Posts: 1498

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Do not support, this is not the merger as previously discussed. Roll Archeron and Mortum properly into one - i.e. same as it currently is, but with double payouts and double PvP times.

Last edited by Dark Leth on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
corclaork
Council Member


Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Posts: 518
Location: The Mohawk Wasteland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

support.

cor
_________________
"hit or be hit"

in game name : corclark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krisjaniz
Mentor


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 471

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole idea of Acheron and Mortum was to provide planets in opposite timezones for people who want base fights and can't cover 24/7. Merging them both defeats that purpose.

Reducing the number of nodes (reducing the size of the planets as well) and alternating cycles between AM/PM 5-9 PvP would probably be the way to go.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wakka
Intermediate


Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisjaniz wrote:
The whole idea of Acheron and Mortum was to provide planets in opposite timezones for people who want base fights and can't cover 24/7. Merging them both defeats that purpose.

Reducing the number of nodes (reducing the size of the planets as well) and alternating cycles between AM/PM 5-9 PvP would probably be the way to go.


Issue is, they're already not fulfilling that purpose. When was the last time anyone saw a base fight or any real PvP on Mort / Ach? The set times are now more of a way to avoid PvP rather than encourage it, as you know you can cap a base and not have to worry about it. Few people ever attack a fully built base on either of these planets, but rather just use a few units for unbuilt ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krisjaniz
Mentor


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 471

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakka wrote:
krisjaniz wrote:
The whole idea of Acheron and Mortum was to provide planets in opposite timezones for people who want base fights and can't cover 24/7. Merging them both defeats that purpose.

Reducing the number of nodes (reducing the size of the planets as well) and alternating cycles between AM/PM 5-9 PvP would probably be the way to go.


Issue is, they're already not fulfilling that purpose. When was the last time anyone saw a base fight or any real PvP on Mort / Ach? The set times are now more of a way to avoid PvP rather than encourage it, as you know you can cap a base and not have to worry about it. Few people ever attack a fully built base on either of these planets, but rather just use a few units for unbuilt ones.


This is where reducing the node count comes in - resources should be fought over. If there's not enough demand to make a fight, we should reduce supply.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wakka
Intermediate


Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krisjaniz wrote:
Wakka wrote:
krisjaniz wrote:
The whole idea of Acheron and Mortum was to provide planets in opposite timezones for people who want base fights and can't cover 24/7. Merging them both defeats that purpose.

Reducing the number of nodes (reducing the size of the planets as well) and alternating cycles between AM/PM 5-9 PvP would probably be the way to go.


Issue is, they're already not fulfilling that purpose. When was the last time anyone saw a base fight or any real PvP on Mort / Ach? The set times are now more of a way to avoid PvP rather than encourage it, as you know you can cap a base and not have to worry about it. Few people ever attack a fully built base on either of these planets, but rather just use a few units for unbuilt ones.


This is where reducing the node count comes in - resources should be fought over. If there's not enough demand to make a fight, we should reduce supply.


Agreed, however, I feel that should be complimented by an increase in payout, otherwise it may not be worth fighting over. This is a change that could be used after a planet merge if this change is seemingly not working.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ParalyzeD
Intermediate


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 461

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new proposal (considering Kris' idea)

Only of the two TB planets will be visible at a given time, after one hits horizon the other one appears
Up payouts to 20 for 1 and 30 for 2, and 0 tbs for more

this will also serve as a test environment for rotating planets, if this works well we can think about rotating the other planets, giving more room for more planet ideas Smile
_________________
IGN : eV
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wakka
Intermediate


Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No support for that idea, for the reasons I posted in that thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ParalyzeD
Intermediate


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 461

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakka wrote:
Whilst I didn't post it in that thread, I've alluded elsewhere to issues with player to planet ratios and redundant planets.

To be brief, there are too many planets available with the player base we have (those who are actually frequent droppers) meaning there will always be some planets uninhabited, which then doesn't encourage others to drop there as there is nothing to do. This isn't also helped by having redundant planets that offer little incentive to drop, which in my opinion Mort and Acheron are, there is very little PvP that go on here at all and they are essentially TB Farmfests. Also as they serve the same purpose, why fight someone on one planet when I can go to another planet without competition?

What merging them does is solve the issue of planet-player ratio. It reduces the prominence of their redundancy, as now all players are forced onto one planet which I hope will encourage more competition and activity. Additionally, the increased payouts will offer more incentives. Finally, if it is seen that this change isn't working, we know it's an inherent issue with the planet, and that can lead way to more radical change like a simples planet.

Thanks,
Pac


pac, this is still essentially a merge. One of the two TB planets will always be unavailable, eliminating the redundancy issue. Kris' concern was that opening two pvp windows defeats the purpose of the planet (to allow people to only need to worry about their node in the given timeframe and not stay on 24/7) Having two pvp windows, makes it so that you have to be able to be on BOTH time periods to guard your node.

Instead, having the two planets rotate, will allow people from both sides of the world have a taste of the planet every other couple of days.
_________________
IGN : eV
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wakka
Intermediate


Joined: 24 Jan 2013
Posts: 131

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making it so only group of people can take advantage of a planet depending on the time is an issue. The PvP windows, as I've frequently stated, do NOT address the issue having a base taken, and not being able to do anything about it. Instead, people have flipped it, with the time zones becoming ways to avoid PvP because they know they don't have to worry about fighting someone for the node during certain hours. Again, how many times have you seen someone attack a fully built Ach / Mort base in the last month+? How many times have you seen someone attack an almost empty node with no resistance? The PvP window is NOT the correct solution, it just creates more problems.

Go back to my Acheron / Mortum changes where I suggested the simple ideas as one of many, perhaps put the simple idea on hold, and introduce the other changes because they were another attempt at trying to increase activity and solving issues of AFK base attacks, without reverting or reforming back to the PvP window idea which simply does not work.

Also, we don't have enough players to who actively drop to fight in the same time zones. Perhaps if people had a reason to drop to Mort, and there were enough players to warrant it, the PvP windows would be a good thing, but right now due to the state of the game it can't be used to full effect.

Idk, that's just how I see it, obviously other Council members may vote in support for it for it still.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ParalyzeD
Intermediate


Joined: 16 Mar 2009
Posts: 461

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, reverting back to old merger suggested; and actually that should settle it

current council count is 8 (with slayer resigning I believe) thus only need 4 votes: me, pac, DL, corc supporting the old merger, (two pvp windows)

status --> council-approved
_________________
IGN : eV
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Walterohdim
Site Admin


Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1629
Location: Somewhere with lots of doors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope you need 5 for a majority to pass a ticket



I am holding my vote as it doesn't need deciding till Friday so there is more time to get player input.

Walterohdim
_________________
Wannabee historian of Tinywarz. Through the building of myth we will build community. M. Scott Peck

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Trerro
Council Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1351

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch and Mort were built with 2 things in mind:
1. Not everyone is in the US
2. Only 3-4 facs at a time have 24 hour coverage, and other facs would like to engage in actual army combat, not merely having their bases eaten while they sleep

Merging the planets would shut down both of these, and make the planet simply a TB version of Inf. IMO, we really don't need 2 Infs.

Yes, Arch/Mort is currently dead, but that's a reflection of our lack of players. They were quite active, and quite fun, when we actually had the facs to populate them.
_________________
[quote="trumpetguy"]And if you double-integrate a BAIII does it become a BAV?[/quote]

Ok... the intergalactic beer run may have been a bad idea. Whoops!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Player Council - Closed Tickets All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group