FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#94 - [Feature] Simples only planet - Archeron(Rejected)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Player Council - Closed Tickets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParalyzeD
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: #94 - [Feature] Simples only planet - Archeron(Rejected) Reply with quote

https://sourceforge.net/p/dropshock/tickets/94/

forum post: http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?t=15396

changed bandit bases and spawns into simples only, players can only drop simple units/mods/buildings
payouts are in FPs and mods, each node pays 20FP and 10 random simple mods every 360 turn as opposed to the 720 turn on hellion and inf
horizon and initial capture of nodes provide 50 FPs and 30 mods per node
i havent coded supernode; but if that is desired it can be added later

Last edited by ParalyzeD on Fri May 03, 2013 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Trerro
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arch/Mort, when we had a healthy-sized playerbase, served a purpose: It offered a chance for meaningful army combat for the middle facs: those who were large enough to have armies and resources, and could get a few people on, but couldn't field 1000+ units, provide 24 hour coverage to a planet, or fight 15 wave army battles. There were some great battles there.

I'm all for the long-requested simples-only planet, and like the setup as presented, but I don't think we should scrap Arch/Mort for them - they serve in no way equivalent functions.

Ok... the intergalactic beer run may have been a bad idea. Whoops!
Dark Leth
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trerro wrote:
Arch/Mort, when we had a healthy-sized playerbase, served a purpose: It offered a chance for meaningful army combat for the middle facs: those who were large enough to have armies and resources, and could get a few people on, but couldn't field 1000+ units, provide 24 hour coverage to a planet, or fight 15 wave army battles. There were some great battles there.

I'm all for the long-requested simples-only planet, and like the setup as presented, but I don't think we should scrap Arch/Mort for them - they serve in no way equivalent functions.

Split it 50/50 then. The new planet, plus make the remaining Arch or Mort have double the PvP times and double the payout times. Win-win.
ParalyzeD
Intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argueably, there were also some great fights in every other planet, however. that doesnt change the fact that 90% of bases on arch/mort aren't built nor defended. What we need is lesser planets, with too many empty planets and our playerbase, there's no competition nor the need for it. And even if we doubled the PvP times on archeron I'm not entirely sure that will solve anything. my2cents
Walterohdim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a question I should have asked in another thread but I am lazy so am going to ask it here. How hard would it be to code that some of the planets take turns?

Walterohdim

ParalyzeD
Intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it'll be too hard todo, but as with other codes, it's finding the correct method and a lot of tedious details that makes coding 'hard'
Wakka
Intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having two planets that ultimately serve the same goal (TB farm) with the small player base we have is just overkill. Why not consolidate them all the one planet? I'm still torn on deleting / getting rid of one planet, but if it is left open alongside the simple planet, why would anyone want to make a simple units and fight for things when they can just continue to afk farm the other planet?

Of course there is the risk that the entire idea is a complete flop, and that nothing really changes except now you have to take afk nodes with simple units but idk. Perhaps a trial period with both (with one having the suggested changes by Trerro) would be suitable, and if not much changes, get rid of one?
Trerro
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with Arch/Mort is that they served what used to be a rather large niche.

There's a reason only 3-4 factions build real bases on Inf if it's not the final hours of the cycle. The rest don't have 24 hour coverage. Why bother building a base and hoping for a nice battle, when you're just going to be donating buildings to the big guys while you sleep?

This created a problem. There were several mid-sized factions both capable of and actively seeking army battles, but incapable of joining them in anything but a minor support role.

Mort fixed this. Here's how Mort worked for a mid-sized fac looking for an army fight:
1. Pay more than the entire payout of a day to establish a base, risking buildings worth several times that amount of TB in value.
2. If you are not attacked during the cycle, you waste a lot of time getting the base up, but the payout cycles ensure you walk away with enough TB that it isn't a total waste.
3. If you *are* attacked, you get a good battle, and if you win, you get lots of salvage that can't be stolen by a fac with unlimited resources - once the pvp flag turns off, everything on the ground is yours. If you lose, well, you knew the risks, and you lost a fun BATTLE, you weren't simply harvested by someone claiming free buildings.

The TB payout wasn't there to be a farm, it was there to erase your cost of operations if no one challenged you, and provide a bonus if you were challenged and won.

I realize that with the current state of the game, Mort is dead because we lack the facs to populate it, and as a result, it pretty much is a farm. However, if our goal is to truly revive the game, there absolutely will be a need for planets like Arch/Mort (or something with a similar purpose) as more facs appear.

The simples-only planet is a great place to goof around in low-risk battles. But a simples planet with simple rewards isn't going to actually help anyone build up. That's not a bad thing, but it makes it an unsuitable replacement for Arch/Mort.

Ok... the intergalactic beer run may have been a bad idea. Whoops!
Dark Leth
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trerro wrote:
The thing with Arch/Mort is that they served what used to be a rather large niche.

There's a reason only 3-4 factions build real bases on Inf if it's not the final hours of the cycle. The rest don't have 24 hour coverage. Why bother building a base and hoping for a nice battle, when you're just going to be donating buildings to the big guys while you sleep?

This created a problem. There were several mid-sized factions both capable of and actively seeking army battles, but incapable of joining them in anything but a minor support role.

Mort fixed this. Here's how Mort worked for a mid-sized fac looking for an army fight:
1. Pay more than the entire payout of a day to establish a base, risking buildings worth several times that amount of TB in value.
2. If you are not attacked during the cycle, you waste a lot of time getting the base up, but the payout cycles ensure you walk away with enough TB that it isn't a total waste.
3. If you *are* attacked, you get a good battle, and if you win, you get lots of salvage that can't be stolen by a fac with unlimited resources - once the pvp flag turns off, everything on the ground is yours. If you lose, well, you knew the risks, and you lost a fun BATTLE, you weren't simply harvested by someone claiming free buildings.

The TB payout wasn't there to be a farm, it was there to erase your cost of operations if no one challenged you, and provide a bonus if you were challenged and won.

I realize that with the current state of the game, Mort is dead because we lack the facs to populate it, and as a result, it pretty much is a farm. However, if our goal is to truly revive the game, there absolutely will be a need for planets like Arch/Mort (or something with a similar purpose) as more facs appear.

The simples-only planet is a great place to goof around in low-risk battles. But a simples planet with simple rewards isn't going to actually help anyone build up. That's not a bad thing, but it makes it an unsuitable replacement for Arch/Mort.

It is possible to recode Arch or Mort to fit both time cycles and alter the payout to support the same concept, opening up the other planet for this idea.

Win-win?
ParalyzeD
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so allow pvp on arch 5-9 AM and PM and increased payout?

Does everyone agree with this before i start making changes?
Wakka
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed
ParalyzeD
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, instead of replacing arch or mort for this idea, I was wondering if we could put the simples planet on hellion?
Walterohdim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these are done together I vote yes on both. After talking to a lot of people, they feel the most useless current planets are Arch and Mort, but that we can't add a planet without removing one, and there doesn't seem to be enough support currently for a rotation scheem currently to make putting one in place worth it.

so YES and YES

ParalyzeD
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sourceforge.net/p/dropshock/tickets/94/

ticket updated, bringing back Archeron for the simples only planet

edit: will need a revote from everybody
Walterohdim
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote yes, as I think this will be very fun for everyone.

Walterohdim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Player Council - Closed Tickets All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: