FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Sourcing Drop Shock
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frizz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Open Sourcing Drop Shock Reply with quote

Hey everyone -

I'm considering open sourcing Drop Shock.

It's a plan just in the early stages and I'm definitely open to feedback. The idea is to create a sourceforge project and add a few files to start -currently I want to add the turn engine and the map processor (handles user input while deployed). If this gets traction I would add more files over time.

Changes would initially be ok'd by me but (down the road) this could be turned over to appointed community members. The database would remained locked down and any code updates would be vetted for possible exploits.

How does everyone feel about this? Unfortunately, I currently don't have the time to work on Drop Shock; are there any community members versed in PHP and interested in taking-up this torch?

Edit 1: Initial community code changes would need to focus on bugs fixes and new features which do not impact how the game is played. If this idea does work out then this would eventually be the avenue for new game updates and content -but that's way, way down the road.

Edit 2: Also, this first go would be extremely difficult for people who are new to PHP (and even experienced PHPers given how old some of the code is). I don't want to discourage anyone, but there will be a significant learning curve.

_f

phrank
Intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess I will be first. I would agree that you will need baby steps for awhile. Also you will need people that are trusted members. With that said I think this is a good idea.
Hunter
Intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realy think this is a good idea, it will help the game go forward instead of frozen in time as it is know.
garrow
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my feedback most likely doesn't matter, but frizz, its sad to see this day Sad was hoping you'd come back, and I see you sorta did, this open source is a good idea, but its depressing to see that you, basicly god, has to go, I'm not downing you, just never thought I'd see this day Sad Open source seems to be a good option, but you'd need to go very small baby steps, there isn't much of us left playing, so anything drastic could either break it further, or make it.I just hope we can find somebody trust worthy who can do PHP, I only know limited java and HTML... limited, very very limited.
greengecko
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that overall, it'll be good for the game, some stuff will, of course, have to be cleared by you, but overall I think it'll have good direction. I do believe though that if put in untrustworthy hands though, they may screw all of the hard work up. Though I believe most will NOT miss stealth Wink

If you could find time though, I would like to see one last content update by you, maybe another expansion or just new units or mods in general... With deletion of the Wyvern Wink haha. (Only semi-kidding on that one.)

antony94
Simple

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a good idea, and hopefully it will free DS of the problem it has with player acquisition/retention. If no one here can do much with the coding I'd be willing to spend evenings learning the process from someone more experienced. Anything to see the game survive.
Sky
Simple

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would this in any way affect the data usage on this game. right now its a low usage. would it in anyway make game use more data? like internet data. i have a limit on how much i can use
armoredman
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you working on another game we can play?

Go for it with the open sourcing, hope it will encourage more interest.
Frageran
Sandwich Maker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think even some manpower on some low level things would improve the game a lot. Thanks for everything Frizz and I hope this works out!

Trerro wrote:
Onto my order I need to tack a stack of Shak Attack Pack, so I can smack back my enemies with flak. Quack.
khaibar
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah D8

erm.. I've been self educating PHP/SQL/HTML/CSS for the past 4 summers or so to reach a point where i could make my own game or something. I even made some little stuff that never saw light due to my uni starting but I am going to graduate this year.

This is like a golden opportunity to test my skills and learn something

An idea that wouldn't break the game would be to have some special bandit boss or something (1 unit with different background that has like 5x hp and 3x damage and gives a PU when killed) and has strong AI but not strong enough to kill the server, and can issue commands, makes bandits near by stronger bla bla bla

That's more of a suggestion than an idea but it can be quickly removed as quickly added but in the end it's u'r call

The next two weeks are my last in uni so I am busy with my graduation project (based on C programming, so more programming background). But after that I'd really like to take a shot at this.

Edit: idea that everyone wants, market sales go to a special folder

In game name khaibar

Last edited by khaibar on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sky
Simple

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khaibar wrote:
woah D8

erm.. I've been self educating PHP/SQL/HTML/CSS for the past 4 summers or so to reach a point where i could make my own game or something. I even made some little stuff that never saw light due to my uni starting but I am going to graduate this year.

This is like a golden opportunity to test my skills and learn something

An idea that wouldn't break the game would be to have some special bandit boss or something (1 unit with different background that has like 5x hp and 3x damage and gives a PU when killed) and has strong AI but not strong enough to kill the server, and can issue commands, makes bandits near by stronger bla bla bla

That's more of a suggestion than an idea but it can be quickly removed as quickly added but in the end it's u'r call

The next two weeks are my last in uni so I am busy with my graduation project (based on C programming, so more programming background). But after that I'd really like to take a shot at this.

In game name khaibar

called swarm would make konu and other planets worthless cause they mostly used for meriting/ lvling
J4
Intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

yeah what other games are you working on?

After years of programming I decided that I hate programming so this is like putting the hands of the game of anyone but me.

I foresee chaos.

I do not understand how something as neat as this game can warrant no time input whatsoever.

Like what kind of terrible schedule must poor _f live under?

After seeing the results of posting to the suggestion and bug forums, which had some but not much success, I think the game should accept that there should be different targeting rules for different planets.

If this can be agreed upon, and fac war planets and salvaging in general can get some carpal tunnel relief, in the long run, maybe this will be good.

But I am not optimistic, I foresee chaos. Who are these php skilled players who play the game? It's up to them. Oh khaibar, what could go wrong.

j4

j4
khaibar
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swarm is army of buffed up bandits, boss can end up being a simple unit its random

Anyway that's not the point, I just want an opportunity at this, even if its mere bug fixing i don't mind
Sky
Simple

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know alot bout coding. the <head><title>FRIZZ RULES</title></head> shit
[/code]
Sky
Simple

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use dreamweaver or text edited
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: