FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player Interviews [Official Thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still plan to restart this - if anyone is interested (yes, even the ones who I have interviewed before), please PM me in the forums! Smile

"If you play Justin Bieber songs backwards, you can hear messages from Satan. Even worse, if you play them forwards you hear Justin Bieber"

"Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna shut the f*** up"
takoshi515
Intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I loved this thread!
jabujabu
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me have the last word
Jekyll [6:45am 28]
My first slave was a gatlinger named Wendy
kooliam
Intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz come back Ren.
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to try to resuscitate this thread as part of my own personal contribution to the community -

So I'm now taking volunteers up for interviews again - mail me in game and we can work out a timing for this.

While I can't be actually consistent with posting (I'll try to post the interview within a day of it having taken place, but that's reliant on work and school commitments ofc), hopefully this generates as much buzz as it did when it first started.

Let the interviews begin!!1

P.S : Damn you Slayer you jackass.

"If you play Justin Bieber songs backwards, you can hear messages from Satan. Even worse, if you play them forwards you hear Justin Bieber"

"Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna shut the f*** up"
takoshi515
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'd love to hear from TW again!
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop Shock's own Justin Bieber speaks. But don't expect him to sing, he'll kill the living and raise the dead.

Ren: To start things off Slayer, when did you start playing the game and how did you find it?

Slayer: I'm deployed right now but I'm pretty sure it was July 2006, I may be wrong though.

Ren: Can't remember where you found the game eh?

Slayer: I'm pretty sure the game was 7 months past it's BETA (Which was August 05' . right?) so around middle of 06 I think. I used to play a text based game called Legend Of The Dragon, and I found this by typing in browser games and going through all the google searches. My name on LotR was BeastSlayer666.. Too many characters for Tinywarz so Slayer666 it is. Plus Slayer was taken, that guy hasn't logged in once in 10 years, and I hate him.
---
Ren: Haha, okay. So what was your initial impression of the game?

Slayer: It was cool, something different, haven't seen anything close to this game (hence why it's been a decade & here I am!). I've played alot of games, and quit 99% of them too. I can't put my finger on the exact reason I came back, but the community & the diversification you can take in the game was pretty attractive. That being said I was 13 when I joined (Broke the ToS - Sorry Frizz!) and I didn't know what I wanted, I'm surpised I stayed because there wasn't any boobs. Can I say boobs? Or is that not allowed?
Renai: You can say whatever you want, LOL.
Slayer: Cool. Boobs.
Ren: Cheeky aren't we, heh.
---
Ren: Alright, looking back, how do you view your Drop Shock career from start to now?

Slayer: I lied, cheated (never stole) my way to the top. I've done some terrible things, which I've only just built bridges with people who I've wronged, after years. But I've got to where I am so I can't complain.
Ren: Haha, you're brutally honest there.
Slayer: Well, I could sit there and say I was honest and didn't try out stupid things but everyone who I've wronged; they'd have no respect for me.
Renai: Do you regret anything of that? Just seeing if you have a conscience or anything really, LOL.
Slayer: Oh I do, I've had a run in with 2 people specifically that I've actually walked away from the game when it happened and regretted it for a long time, and each time I saw their name online it reminded me, which is not what I wanted. I didn't see them for a few years then the minute they came back we worked to rectify the relationship(s) we once had. And no, I won't tell you who they are.
Renai: I won't poke, though you're free to tell me who they are over whispers. HAHAHAHAHA.
---
Ren: Do you have any memories that you cherish or look back on with fondness? I mean, you've been here a long time, there has to be some, right?

Slayer: Yeah, it's tough to point some out properly, because I'll see a player and memories will flood back. I got lost for hours on the forum the other day, and then ended up on a few player's Photobucket albums, and it's very nostalgic. To summarise my biggest "achievement" was starting up Sanctuary and giving the "third side" a good go. I think we did it best out of the game, albeit it was a mess. And of course it merged into Searing Shadows which created Sanctuary Of Shadows.

---
Ren: With regards to that, I remember you attempted to make a third side in the then raging RvB triangle. What made you want to do that?

Slayer: As much as I avoided taking sides, I've always been more PGF than anything else. I was always close to DarkLeth and he helped me out alot in the early stages when I decided to focus on the game, and he's been stoic putting up with me. I was in PGF, was in ER as I know Gear quite well out of the game, and I even was one the starting members of Deliverance when Excelsior, ThunderZ & co started that up. My thirst wasn't quenched, I wanted something that was mine, and I could say "I did that". That did mean cutting ties from all the people who helped me, which some didn't see straight away, but they understood later on.
---
Ren: So when you started your third side faction, what was the immediate reaction (from both your own factionmates and foe alike)?

Slayer: It wouldn't work. I think (this is from memory so citation may be needed) we started off Allied to PGF (and I think ER as well for a bit) and fought small-tier factions like WLF, DRT, Stealth Recon & Ress. (when they were small). I got itchy sitting on a bunch of resources, and some hungry new guys so I spoke to Leth about breaking it off (I think over the duration of Sanct we broke and re-allied half a dozen times - it went the same way each time). You can understand he wasn't best pleased because it was around the time (shortly after) Paranoia University became The Wardens, so the PGF family took hits left right and centre.
---
Ren: Did you ever regret that the third side you envisioned wasn't a 'true' third side? As in, reliant on neither side but your own. I mean, while you did say that the chances of making the third side wasn't high, but do you regret that decision?

Slayer: If you think logically, it'll never-ever, happen. You can only shoot at 1 thing a turn, an attack is 1 attack 1 defender, a third side? They come in once the fights over, clear up the leftovers, immorale. They come in mid-fight. The other sides stop shooting, there's a vision of 3 sides but it never happens like that.
I don't regret it because it was what I needed personally. I had a faction to run, myself, I had options on who to fight with or against and I felt pretty independent. This was the time we had no alliances.

---
Ren: Alright, with the RvB conflict mostly at an end currently, and with the game activity at its current state, how far would you go to encourage conflict on a personal basis?

Slayer: Vets like fighting vets, so I know a good few guys that are on my social media/email address I dragged back when I came back 6 weeks ago. to answer your question I'll fund the other side to make a fun fight, and give them salvage. I just want interaction in the game. If I can help people gain stuff easier and rebuild when they lose, they'll stay (9/10) so I'll do that. Please note, I wasn't that guy at all in my past 9 years. I was the worst guy to sell to, and I'm sure everyone reading this will have hated me, I never paid much for anything and overcharged for everything.
So some people do hesitate when I send an olive branch out, but every right to, I'm a dick. Well was.. But that's up for citation also. Isn't this the part I paid you for where you shower me with compliments?

Ren : No, you can go suck a d***, LOL.
Slayer : Hey, minors reading this.
---
Ren: Now that you're back active, are there any actual plans for world domination? Kunjuro said you had a lot of them.

Slayer: I was absent because I was busy doing it. I've done that now, plans are in place. Watch out Singapore.
Ren: Unlikely to happen.
Slayer: Disclaimer* That's not an act of war on my behalf, leave me alone.
Ren: But seriously, you don't actually have any plans for Drop Shock currently?
Slayer: Depends on what the new owner is doing. I'll stick around no matter what. My work has me in front of a laptop now so.. That's how it all starts.
---
Ren: You have a reputation for being one of the best pvp-ers in the game - do you ever let it get to your head?

Slayer: Yup.
Ren: I knew it, you're an egomaniac, I can't ask these questions that feed your ego heh.
Slayer: Everyone loves having their ego's increased, anyone who doesn't is lying. I'm still a keyboard warrior and I go half-tomo sometimes (never full tomo, no-one goes full tomo anymore). But I'm a % of how bad I used to be.
Ren: I don't have an ego, but that's for another day....But now that I've asked, since you said you let it get into your head, are you pressured to perform as per your reputation?
Slayer: Yeah, when the game was alive with a dozen droppers each side you were the first to die. It sucked but it's pretty nice they focus you as they know you're the biggest threat. I usually do okay in most fights but I had a real bad one yesterday that pissed me off. But you get back on the bike, today I won a fight, swings & roundabouts.
---
Ren: Is there anything that you would really like to accomplish that is within the game's boundaries? You've actually done a lot so I'm not sure if there's actually anything left that you haven't done...

Slayer: Well (I think) I'm the highest in the game. I've got a bunch of crew combo's I'm happy with, and I've had the II armies, and the podded armies, also I've used 3 slot crap and ran rings around 4/5 slot units. I completed the game long ago and I'm here for the one reason I stayed; the community. Now I do enjoy trying a new setup to change things but that gets old in a week, the community is what retained me.

Highest level, not highest drug-wise. That'd be PK. He's on ceiling constantly. (Don't do drugs kids)

---
Ren: As an old veteran, what do you think is stopping or inhibiting the growth of the game? We've seen a change in player numbers over the past 10 years, and not all of it is encouraging.
I mean old as in experience, not age. Grouchy old man you are.

Slayer: Developer attention. A game I enjoy playing is League Of Legends, the thing that drew me to that (No, not the community.. Dear lord not the community) was the Developer team continually changing what was already in the game. They watched how smart players were to create "METAs" and then they'd nerf the shit out of them and then the players would go "okay I'll find another way".

The game never got constant tweaking, a unit losing 10 shields, gaining 2 base damage, little tweaks and constant attention. We don't get intermittent attention right now, and I don't think we have for a long time. Having someone there with that focus (and experience in the game) will go a long way. I'm a firm believer that in order to change it, you have to experience it and Frizz was too out of the touch with the game.Rant over, for now.

---
Ren: In the same vein, what do you think can be done to encourage the growth of the game?
Developer wise or from the community itself.

Slayer: Well we need a new head honcho, preferably a British one as they're cooler than Yanks (sorry not sorry). The game is pretty active now, I mean we hit 40 the other weekend and that's a shadow of our 120s a day but it's better than the 4 online when I logged on 6 weeks ago. We need a developer to patch the holes that are in the game that newbies are essentially falling down. I use alot of analogies but the simple one is make the ship watertight before you set sail.

We can cram money into advertising but you can only send someone so many units before they get sick of an unbalanced mechanic. When there's a new Dev ask me that question again.

Ren: Not sure if I would like to interview you again so you better spit all the goodies out Razz
Slayer : I don't put out on first dates.
Ren: Well, this is an outlet for change, so do express your opinion, rant or otherwise, heh.
Slayer: Well the reason I said ask me after the Dev is here is because I can only bring back so many vets and keep new people until they go.. "Now what?". Everyone's hands are tied by Frizz, and I don't want this to be a Frizz-bashing fest (He got enough of that when he dropped to Dominus) he's got the game to where it is for better or worse, and he's made a pretty damn awesome game.
---
Ren : Alright, last question. As a experienced player, do you have any tips for other players? Newbies or oldies or otherwise

Slayer: Join a faction as quickly as possible, there's a ton of really cool people in the community who will put you before themselves, so use that to help yourself in the current game state.

If you're reading this from the year 2050 and the game is massive and there's tournaments and we're at Comic-Con.. Hi mum!

Ren : I'm not sure if we'll still be around come year 2050. But if we were we'll be grouchy old men by then.
Slayer : Hey, an optimistic reporter, who knew?

yoman5
Advanced

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game for an interview, damned if I remember a ton though, been playing this game far too long. Smile
Intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not significant enough. interview denied.

#epiclol# (<--- another suggestion - chat icons in the forum?)

"Now I see you choosin' the hard way." - Booty Warrior
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: