FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player Interviews [Official Thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh only gecko in teh game speekz! Meet greengecko! Razz

Ren : GG, when did you start playing DropShock?
GG : 11-30-07
GG : So almost 3 years

Ren : How have you found your DS career so far?
GG : Hmmm... it's been a nice ride
GG : Got to meet new people, learned from some of the best, in all it's been fun when I can play

Ren : Do you have any memorable experiences throughout these 3 years?
GG : 'Course i do, I defintely remember the epic seige on ER(SA)'s base from Deli, with over 1000 units dead,
GG : I've also had the honor of fighting the terrifying Lord_havok/Mattao combo on aldus
GG : That's the most memorable experiences, a few lesser would be the XP expansion, which I thought was awesome with super commander units
GG : ER toppling PGF from the #1 faction, and pretty much every good Zedus battle

Ren : What are your current goals?
GG: Well first off, I wanna get better at army PvP
GG : Then I wanna become a better known, "from the other side a terror to behold" 1 vs 1 PvPer
GG : And then I wanna get to know some of the players better, make new friends in different factions, and still be friends even on different sides

Ren : Regarding new factions...which ones do you think have the potential to be new superpowers?
GG : Well, I haven't been on the last 2 months, been grounded for grades atm, but I'd say SS,
GG : And I've heard a lot about HOC, and they seem like they'd be a good way to go too

Ren : That said, has the game ever stagnated for you? If so what is the reason?
GG : A couple of times...
GG : And only because of not having enough resources to do anything
GG : I'm poor Razz

Ren : So gameplay wise, what do you feel is lacking that would make the game more fun?
GG : I feel that a bit more army combat would make it more fun, though I rather suck at army, it'd help for me to get better
Ren : Aw, no suggestions for Frizz? Razz
GG : Hmmmmmmmm lets see, BHW is an awesome idea, also a new lesser shak to hunt,
GG : And there is the suggestion of renaming the Obliteration Cannon to the Hades Death Cannon Wink
GG : But in all I'd have to wait for the new expansion to see what it's lacking

Ren : So which aspect of the game do you enjoy the most?
GG : I enjoy the strategy of 1 vs 1 and the ability to customize, I seem to excel a bit at it
GG : I keep finding better and better combinations, then once I test to make sure it works I start dominating, which is why I love Zedus
GG : Take my GUN NUT killfox for example:
GG : ADE works wonders with reaper deathdealer punisher and avenger/armor mod/CSG

Ren : Not afraid of others copying that setup? Razz
GG : Not particularly, I usually share my setups with fac mates, though I'm the one who made it, which means I'm the one who knows how to use it best Wink
GG : Took down a player Gat in 2 turns with it. I laughed... a lot.

Ren : Okay, you've been in ER for most of your game career - you've also been involved in the RvB triangle for quite a decent period of time...what do you think about RvB and the impact it has on the game?
GG : I think that every game need a bit of RvB, it makes it a bit more enjoyable having someone to fight all the time, but it could do with less drama
GG : Just 'cause we're enemies doesn't mean we can't be friends Smile

Ren : Has there been anything that has contributed negatively to your gaming experience?
GG : I went to PGF for a week, and not all of them are horrible, some bring a bad name to them, if it weren't for them, we'd probably be better friends
Ren : Describe...?
GG : People like W_A_R, HK can be kinda ehh, that's all I can really remember that stuck out the most

Ren : Lastly, any tips for younger players and factions?
GG : Join a good faction, one who cares about their members, listen to the older veterans, and just have fun, it's a game, dont get too worked up over it Smile

"If you play Justin Bieber songs backwards, you can hear messages from Satan. Even worse, if you play them forwards you hear Justin Bieber"

"Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna shut the f*** up"

Last edited by Renaisance on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Mattao2
Intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need more of these Smile
risu
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattao2 wrote:
we need more of these Smile

agreed
heian
Intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we do.
Kobayashi
Intermediate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is next??
jabujabu
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me!
Jekyll [6:45am 28]
My first slave was a gatlinger named Wendy
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order-

Blair Vanoi Krisjaniz Walt (carefully omitted jabu for laughs)

"If you play Justin Bieber songs backwards, you can hear messages from Satan. Even worse, if you play them forwards you hear Justin Bieber"

"Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna shut the f*** up"
asaace
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: ... cool Reply with quote

I wonder who's next, some of these interviews are funny Smile
heian
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ren, I sent you mine too.
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkLeth, aka DL, shares his thoughts on his 5 years within the game, the new expansion and lastly the faction level overhaulin'.

Ren: When did you start playing DS?
DL: I started fairly early in the beta. I remember Connor (Jake Radden) joining so about the same time as him, I would suppose.

Ren: So how has your game been so far?
Ren: As in, throughout the five years playing DS.
DL: Honestly, it is probably the best game I've ever played.
DL: I don't say that as some laudatory praise for the game itself but the entire package of TinyWarz and the community.
DL: I used to play quite a large number of video games but I'm proud to say TW is the only one I still play today.
DL: I've never met, some small spats aside, a better game communtiy than the one here.

Ren: You've been playing since Beta, so what do you think is the difference between the current DS and the TW of olden days? (Probably the time period from beta to TW's first birthday, as a marker)
Ren: I've heard some vets say that the olden period was 'better', but they never did elaborate Razz
DL: The biggest change was definitely the introduction of big spenders.
DL: I wouldn't argue that the Beta period was better overall (it was certainly much less active) but it was indeed far more egalitarian.
DL: A player was much more likely to ascend to the top ranks quickly with hard work and time in the early days than is possible today.
DL: That, and army fights were much smaller in the beginning of the game. That is one of the reasons I feel Frizz intended to make changes to shift the game back towards smaller combat with his recent expansions and updates.

Ren: Okay, moving forward, what do you think of Combat Drop as an expansion as compared to the previous expansions, like Shadow Wars, Battle Tactics and X-Project?
DL: Honestly, at first I was a bit underwhelmed. But I've spent some time looking seriously at the new units and mods and I think this may be Frizz's best expansion yet.
DL: Unlike Battle Tactics, which greatly devalued the original lineup of untis, I feel that CD did a fantastic job of providing myriad opportunities to do something different with units without outmodding the usefulness of previous sets.
DL: Furthermore, I think the mistarget concept was something that had needed to be introduced for quite some time - although I did find it a bit humorous that Spellbreaker and Kris did more damage to my army the other day than did my enemy.

Ren: You, like Jake, have played this game for a very long time. Do you have any experiences that you personally cherish throughout the years?
DL: Battalia and I spending multiple all-nighters defending Paranoia University nodes from Deliverance attacks.
DL: People may not remember this, but at that time, Batt and I were leading two factions in the top 5 (PU and PGF).
DL: One evening in particular, Batt and I defended a node against two swarms of 200-300 units sent by Paladinlove and Thunder. We managed to hold these assaults off with a combined force of about 60-80 units. By the third time Thunder and Pal dropped, though, we'd had enough.
DL: Anyway, PU was my favorite faction to be in. We worked so hard and legitimately enjoyed being around one another, It is to the great detriment of the game community that PU was killed.

Ren: Have you ever, at one point, felt bored and decided to take a break from the game? If so, what was the reason?
DL: I actually had permanently quit a little over a year ago. Cloned my commander and parted said clones out.
DL: Unfortunately, I ended up have a large number of surgeries this past year. While I was recovering I couldn't do many physical activities so I decided to come back to TW.
DL: I ended up staying here to help PGF get back on her feet.
DL: That being said, I probably will retire once more sometime in the future. I'm fairly busy and TW, unfortunately, is an easy way to lose track of precious hours.

Ren: A little estimation on my part - as leader of PGF and several other factions over your entire career (Paranoia University being an example), what do you think is the key to running a faction well?
DL: I think the most important thing, above all is, to be able to work well with a large number of personality types.
DL: I think most faction collapses have happened to due characters in the game clashing with one another.
DL: A good faction leader should be able to bring out the strengths in his best players and hopefully nullify their detrimental characteristics.
DL: Leadership in TW isn't about controlling your players so much as helping them maximize their potential.

Ren: This question is sort of related - as a pillar of PGF, you and the faction have often inevitably been drawn into RvB conflicts - what do you feel about RvB?
DL: Honestly, I feel it is most similar to an RTS version of Duverger's law.
DL: That is, the mechanics of the game are constructed as to be endemic to binary distribution of power among alliances.
DL: I think short term distruptions to this are possible but no long term alternative has presented itself.
DL: That being said, I've enjoyed -most- of the RvB conflicts over the last few years. In fact, Spellbreaker and I are now quite good friends as a direct result of the many battles we had against once another.
DL: What really hurt the RvB dynamic the past year or two, I feel, has been some of the unnecessary animosity certain parties in the game feel towards their enemies.
DL: At the end of the day, a lot of people have invested significant resources into the game and forgotten that it indeed just a hobby - not your life. So long as people can get along with one another, there is nothing inherently bad about the RvB war.

Ren: So what do you feel would be great improvements to your gaming experience?
DL: Honestly, I think Frizz does a great job with the game mechanics overall and is fairly responsive when substantive criticisms are raised.
DL: I think the one thing we need as of late is a bit more of a unified community, things have certainly grown better over the last few weeks and months versus where they were earlier in the year. That being said,
DL: I would love to have a TW convention as we've discussed for a few years now. I think it would further bolster the strong friendships many of us have made over the last 5+ years and perhaps kindle some new ones.

Ren: Maybe if you pay for my plane ticket? Jesting Wink
DL: Well, my feeling is the most successful convention would have a strong central location (Chicago is my suggestion) in addition to some smaller ancillary ones.
DL: And of course we would have people teleconference in.
DL: I wouldn't mind chipping in for a few internationals to fly in.

Ren: So 1ron gets to call me Asian again! Fantastic! ;P
DL: 1ron is racist, can't do much about that. Sad

Ren: Anyway, let's not sidetrack, which of the younger factions do you think would have the potential to challenge for the top 5 postions on the Faction board?
DL: Everyone continue to pick HoC for this and I don't want to knock them for that selection.
DL: I think it is very likely they will end up in the Top 5 at some point. However, the small faction I've been very impressed with myself is Team Banzai.
DL: I'm perhaps a bit biased, having fought with most of TB in the past when they were in PGF, but I think that is one of the most powerful factions per capita in the game.

Ren: Regarding the new faction levels overhaul, what do you feel about it? During the past 24 hours people have been whining about the removal of these benefits...
DL: Honestly, I still remember playing without them, so most of my unit buildouts were always made under the assumption I may someday be without that range 6 bonus.
DL: That being said, I think Frizz may have made a mistake removing them before throwing the new ones up - people will always complain if you give them something to complain about.
DL: At the end of the day, I think this does a good job returning some of the power to the players - that is, making it more about what players a faction has rather than what ranks said faction has purchased.
DL: I think it should help liven the game up a bit.

Ren: Lastly, any tips you may want to give the newer players? Not the join PGF scrub though!
DL: The best tip I could give new players is to be adventurous.
DL: The best players in the game often traveled to a lot of different factions, tried a lot of units, and made their fair share of mistakes.
DL: TW is about so much more than being on the "winning side". Go and try to do everything you can.

Last edited by Renaisance on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S: Anz I didn't forget Smile

heian
Intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Smile
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Frizz for a few minutes of time, and he was generous enough to answer all the questions I put forward. Thanks Frizz!

Q1: As the sole developer of the game, has it ever been too tedious having to deal with the drama (in-game) about all the updates that you've done?
LOL! <sarcasm>ofcorse not!</sarcasm>

All kidding aside there have definitely been times when I've poured a lot of time, thought and heart into an update only to watch it go up (or down) in flames on the forum and in chat (see: Stealth). Luckily the years (years, can you believe it?) have made me a little wiser and I've learned better ways to take criticism.

A few things have been revealed to me while developing this game. First, communication is key. If someone is flaming violently on the forum it can easily stem from a lack of understand about a change (or proposed change). This is one of the reasons I've tried to be much more active on the forums, especially when major updates are on the horizon. Second, don't dismiss criticism out of hand and try to understand the real issue a complaint addresses. Lastly, I've learned that the drama goes hand-in-hand with the game. People really get attached to and care about Drop Shock and, while this can often be expressed in flaming posts on the forum, it's still an expression for the passion people have for this game, and I appreciate that.

Q2: Have you ever felt discouraged when your updates receive negative criticism?

Sure, but as I just stated that criticism is often due to the fact that people care a great deal about the game. On the other hand, there are people who will go nutting futs if their pet Unit, Mod, Faction Ability is removed / tweaked / looked at funny. I have little-to-no sympathy for these cases. My end goal is to make the most balanced and play-able turn-based strategy game, I'm not going to NOT touch your favorite thing just because you love it and built your entire army around it. I definitely see how this can be frustrating and how some players might quit over a game tweak, but that won't stop me from making a change for the good of the game and player-base as a whole.

Q3: How does it feel to be hunted by everyone whenever you deploy to a planet?

It's definitely caused me to cut back on the amount of deploying I do and made me re-think my setups when I do deploy. My deployments usually turn into 2-3 hour fox and hound chases (not a big guess which one I am) and the units I bring down need to be really fast and really well armored (sometime with a little extra hax thrown in for good measure).

Q4: Personally, which of your expansions do you like the most?

From a coding stand-point I really enjoyed Shadow Wars. Getting Stealth in took a lot of work and learning on my part. Unfortunately, it goes to show that sometimes even your favorite features should be reconsidered. I don't think Stealth was a complete failure, but if I had it to do-over I'd definitely spend a lot more think thinking about whether or not Stealth really had a *place* in Drop Shock instead of focusing on trying to get something into the game that was very difficult from a technical stand-point.

From an over-all view, each expansion has been my favorite, at the time it was released. That said, I really like the direction Combat Drop took. I definitely learned a lot from the other expansions and put what I learned into this latest expansion. Battle Tactics taught me that a good expansion needs to fill-in the gaps in game-play, SW and XP showed me that new features need careful balancing.

Q5: What do you usually do when you are online in-game - we don't usually see you deploy so that's a bit of a mystery Smile

I spend a *lot* of time answering emails. Unfortunately most of them are usually some form of:

A) That's a great idea! Please post this to the Suggestion forum so other players can provide feedback and I can track it.
B) That's a great question! Please post it to Ask Frizz on the wiki so everyone can benefit from the answer.
C) That's a great bug! Please post it to the Bugs area of the forum so it can be tracked and dealt with as-needed.

(I really should code-up some form-letters or something)

After that it's chasing bugs and testing new content.

Q6: Regarding the recent whine-fest about the Faction Level overhaul, what made you come up with the idea?

It all started with a feedback request I made on the Suggestion forum to give low-FP factions additional unit bonuses (similar to what was just removed) to help balance them against more experienced factions. An insightful player noted that the real issue was that faction levels were inherently imbalanced and scrapping them entirely would serve this purpose much more than simply trying to buffing low level factions.

Although this idea wasn't the feedback I was looking for, it did strike a cord with me and I started a new post to request feedback for the scrapping of faction levels which provided unit or building advantages. This post gathered feedback and the idea evolved over the next month. After putting together a fairly solid version of the idea and spending a lot of time thinking over what effect the current faction levels had on the game, I decided to pull the unit / building bonuses early; it was clear to me, by then, that they had no place in the game. I knew this wouldn't be a popular decision, but I also felt it was for the best: there are two changes at work here - removal of the old advantages and introduction of the new ones. Each would need a discussion and breaking up these changes would make it easier to talk-about each one in-turn.

Q7: United Federation VS Rebel Combine - This one is from the Suggestions Forum, and it seems to be pretty popular with just about everyone. What would be the chances of this happening in-game?

Not too good. A key gameplay mechanic is the struggle between player-run factions. Trying to create new tension outside this dynamic would mean a lot of work that was not in-line with the overall direction of the game.

Q8: We've noticed a trend where the Combat Drop units are much more expensive to build compared to the units from previous expansions....is there a reason for it?

I wanted CD units to build off of the last two expansions. Unfortunately a lot of items from these expansions also had fairly large build requirements so this some-what aggravated the build situation. I do think that, while some items in CD might have slightly high build costs than other items, you do get some great units, mods and buildings for the price you pay.

Q9: User-created Strux forum - I've noticed most of the in-game units have almost nothing (visibly) to do with that sub-forum - will any of the future expansions rely on player created strux instead?

Definitely, I do check this forum from time to time. The big thing about expansions is that I try to create 3-4 overall themes for the expansion and then use that code-base to add everything else. This cuts down on over coding time, while also ensure that the features which are added are (more) solid. Unfortunately, most user created construx have one-off features which make them interesting, but also make them a bear to implement en-masse.

Q10: After the Faction Levels overhaul, any sneak peek into the next big update?

=) Keep an *ear* out, you might learn something interesting.

Stealth21
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Q2: Have you ever felt discouraged when your updates receive negative criticism?

Sure, but as I just stated that criticism is often due to the fact that people care a great deal about the game. On the other hand, there are people who will go nutting futs if their pet Unit, Mod, Faction Ability is removed / tweaked / looked at funny. I have little-to-no sympathy for these cases. My end goal is to make the most balanced and play-able turn-based strategy game, I'm not going to NOT touch your favorite thing just because you love it and built your entire army around it. I definitely see how this can be frustrating and how some players might quit over a game tweak, but that won't stop me from making a change for the good of the game and player-base as a whole.

DUN DUN DUN DUN! hahaha, SB and all the guys saying i worked hard for this fps(Combat 6) all day long just to boom boom pow my opponents... Got pawned Laughing Laughing

Quote:
Q6: Regarding the recent whine-fest about the Faction Level overhaul, what made you come up with the idea?

It all started with a feedback request I made on the Suggestion forum to give low-FP factions additional unit bonuses (similar to what was just removed) to help balance them against more experienced factions. An insightful player noted that the real issue was that faction levels were inherently imbalanced and scrapping them entirely would serve this purpose much more than simply trying to buffing low level factions.

Although this idea wasn't the feedback I was looking for, it did strike a cord with me and I started a new post to request feedback for the scrapping of faction levels which provided unit or building advantages. This post gathered feedback and the idea evolved over the next month. After putting together a fairly solid version of the idea and spending a lot of time thinking over what effect the current faction levels had on the game, I decided to pull the unit / building bonuses early; it was clear to me, by then, that they had no place in the game. I knew this wouldn't be a popular decision, but I also felt it was for the best: there are two changes at work here - removal of the old advantages and introduction of the new ones. Each would need a discussion and breaking up these changes would make it easier to talk-about each one in-turn.

Told yah guys! Just adapt, stop bragging lulz. He will Fix it in time.

PULL YOUR PANTS DOWN AND DANCE! new stuffsss yeeaahh

_Chron
Advanced

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jubjubcow aka jabu_jabu shares his experiences with us...

Ren: When did you start playing this game, and where did you stumble upon it?
jabu: Date joined: 08-26-06
jabu: A friend from school told me about it
jabu: His name was fluffy
jabu: PGF people might remember him Razz

Ren: So generally how has your DS life been?
jabu: It hasn't been bad
jabu: It's nice to have lots of resources, so losses aren't such a big deal
jabu: The game shouldn't be stressful at all
jabu: And sometimes I let it get under me, but I know it shouldn't
jabu: So now I just try to enjoy the game and enjoy the community

Ren: At one point you did a lot of things that weren't accepted by the community...
jabu: But people are quite forgiving
jabu: And ever since i came back, people haven't given me trouble about it
jabu: And it's not a big deal
jabu: Like in real life, you always got friends and haters

Ren: So you took a real long hiatus from the game....what made you come back to the game?
jabu: I got an email about how the game had changed (units overhaul)
jabu: And then I proceeded to read the rest of the TW email updates, including stealth, + units, etc
jabu: It was interesting.

Ren: You have been deemed a troll in the forums repeatedly...does it ever get to you?
jabu: What is a troll?
jabu: I don't do it intentionally
jabu: So it's not a problem

Ren: Troll : Being a bitch on the forums obviously?
jabu: It's just a game. I can mock and insult those haters if I want to, because I know they won't be outside my bedroom tonight Smile

Ren: So what do you think of Red V Blue as a community based game mechanic?
jabu: I personally don't care if there is red v blue
jabu: Because there will always be someone to kill
jabu: It does setup for some pretty big and intense battles
jabu: But sometimes the flaming and community hate isn't worth it
jabu: It's also something natural
jabu: Which will happen without frizz changing anything
jabu: So what can I say?

Ren: So which of the younger factions do you tip to become a potential powerhouse in the near future?
jabu: Resurrected
Ren: YOUNGER NOT SMALLER
jabu: Renaisance is a youngling.

Ren: Any suggestions for Frizz to make his game better?
jabu: I quit the game because of the lack of new features or new things to do.
jabu: There have been many suggestions such as missions or new planets which might make the game more fun to play
jabu: But I know that's being selfish and the game has more than enough planets already
jabu: I think, the general consensus is, that we need better ways to retain new players.

Ren: Any advice for new players and factions?
jabu: Get yourself involved with the community, which includes all chat, fac chat and forums.
jabu: I find that diplomacy goes a really long way in this game.
jabu: Other than that, strategize properly so you don't take as many losses as you have to...
jabu: Only fight battles you think you are going to win, and run away from the battles that you are vastly outnumbered...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: