FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player Interviews [Official Thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-PR leader and current chat mod RoseThorn takes some time off to get interviewed...we talk about chat moderators, how she feels about modding chat, some more PR history....

Ren : RT - when did you start playing this game?
RT : A long time ago.
Ren : Eh, no exact dates?
RT : Too lazy to look... nearing my 5 year mark though.

Ren : You've been pretty much in obscurity until two years (or was it one year) ago when you became leader of PR....so what was it like before then?
RT : Lets see... I believe the first thing I did that brought me into the spotlight was salvaging the XBox 360 mod
RT : Then I joined PR as its fourth member when it was just starting up, and stayed out of the spotlight for a while, only talking and playing in faction chat due to real life constraints
RT : As my life became more free, I found I enjoyed the community and started actively participating-- albeit slowly

Ren : Okay, about chat mods and chat behaviour - what do you generally feel about it, considering you've been a chat mod for a pretty long period of time
RT : Well, even before I became a moderator whenever I was in all chat I tried to get people to obey the rules. The rules are there for a reason.
RT : When I became a mod, I was actually able to enforce those rules...
RT : However some issues came up, mostly between CBX, Frizz, and a player who won't be named, and most of the mods' (I don't know if you would call them rules) got changed.
RT : That's when the chat moderator guidelines came out. It's been much more difficult to moderate the chat since then, especially with certain people constantly taking it to the limit of a mute then always backing off.
RT : Because I've stopped giving those frequent abusers warning, I've gotten abuse from the community at large.
RT : So to summarize a long answer, a lot of things need to change I think, both with moderators and what they can moderate as well as with the community in general regarding the chats
RT : Overall however I love being a mod, it allows me to interact with new players especially, helping them through the game, and letting them know that someone is there who is able and willing to help.

Ren : So you don't find it a hassle that you really only have Walt and Vanoi to help you with moderating the chat?
RT : Not really; It would be a great help to have a mod on all chat 24/7, but thats not realistic.
RT : Honestly the way that we have I think is working fine; I get emails about violations which I check 2-4 times a day, take what actions I need, then am on my way, perhaps with consulting the other mods/frizz first.
RT : I think if we had more mods it might muddle things up a bit, as what one moderator might give a mute for another won't.

Ren : Going forward, you've been one of the few who first noticed the Necromancer (XP launch)'s hidden powers, and you've used them to great effect. What made the Necromancer appeal to you instead of the other XP commanders?
RT : Well, I've always been a poor player: Everything I've had I've gotten myself the hard way.
RT : I saw the Necromancer as a great way not only to boost my storage, but to use armies I did not have
RT : if I could just keep my Necromancer alive, I could use other peoples dead armies against them.
RT : Cheap units, plus an infinite supply of units is great on the battlefield, as well as my personal favorite part.
RT : People retreat their wounded units if they can, or if its not a base assault, Even then they have all their units in one spot.
RT : I could jump in, make a slave, and as long as I jumped out that turn, get behind a person's lines and start killing their own units again and again, drawing fire from my allies to my enemies own units.

Ren : You've been playing for a long time - 5 years - which aspect of the game do you like or enjoy the most?
RT : It used to be the community. I had a lot of problems in my life, and I used to get on to forget about my family problems.
RT : But lately... I don't know. I guess I get on because I do still like some of the people.
RT : And I have great hope that the community MIGHT change again and become better than 5 year olds squabbling about which one gets to be first player in a video game.

Ren : It's always been the objective to be top guy in a video game...
RT : Its an analogy, take it as you will. First or second player, left or right screen, it doesn't matter really, you both get to play.

Ren : Moving on, you've been a member of the first generation PR (when L_H was in charge) and leader of the second generation. What do you think was different between the two PRs?
RT : LH was third gen. First it was Pounce, then TOOL, then LH.
RT : And the difference was when LH kicked all the players from PR it destroyed the image of the faction. Nobody wanted to join, as they all wanted to be in a good faction, and those that joined soon left
RT : Because of that numerous attempts to kick start it back to life failed; the faction basically became a new faction with a giant FP target on its head.
RT : It would have been easier to just start a new faction with 0 fps and work up: Because we had so many fp we were a "big faction" and as such people didn't want to help us grow and become a faction again.
RT : People see fp before they see the faction ability, which I think is sad.
RT : Although the biggest difference I would have to say is the focus-- LH created a major pvp faction that rivaled Affliction in the old days-- red is dead, under nearly every circumstance.
RT : I tried creating a minor pvp faction that was a bit more laid back and would accept peace and help newer players

Ren : Talking about FPs, do you feel they imbalance the game? They've been talking and talking about how the younger factions can't seem to do as much as the older factions - and the argument all goes back to FPs. What do you think?
RT : I think it has absolutely nothing at all to do with fp. Sure, fp is a major factor in fights.
RT : But even more so the real issue is the players.
RT : You have major players in key factions that refuse to leave, or refuse to fight against certain factions
RT : Or you have those players that will hop between only a chosen few faction.
RT : It's because of that only a few factions dominate the game: these players will always "belong" to their one or two factions at heart, and always go back to those factions.
RT : The only way to start up a new faction is with all new players really, or convince players to follow you and stay *staying is the hard part, those that join tend to leave fast*
RT : And factions with only new players get stomped on, and new players that get stomped on want to go to bigger/better factions in order to win more and get "better" themselves

Ren : So what do you feel would be a solution?
RT : Right now? Nothing.
RT : If we abolish the big name factions, the players will just team up again in small factions and dominate yet again.
RT : Even if we restarted the game the same thing would happen.
RT : I honestly don't see ANYTHING changing the way the game is run, other than the players themselves deciding to break off into 10 different factions each, and completely cutting all ties with each other

Ren : What about red versus blue? At one point PR was holding up the red side by itself - what do you feel about RvB and the impacts it has on the game?
RT : Well, red vs blue was okay. Both sides used to be FAIRLY even, with both sides waxing and waning in their strength.
RT : Unfortunately it is now much more one sided than it used to be, and it looks like its not changing.
RT : Because of that the game has become a bit stale, one side too strong and not willing to give that up because they are winning, and the other side overwhelmed because its so one-sided that they cant get up except on occasion

Ren: What about a third side? It's been mentioned several times over the past two years that more than two sides would be good for the game
RT : I saw the third side good for one thing, providing balance between the two.
RT : 2 would be able to take on one whenever the one got too powerful, and as I said provide general balance.
RT : However the lure of always winning seems to make the third side constantly lean towards one side or the other... that, or the constant loss of one side makes it seem like the third side is always on one side *the losing side*

Ren : So what are you looking forward to these days?
RT : Nothing?
Ren : Surely you have something to look forward to...
RT : I take life one day at a time for a reason: I get depressed far too easily for anything else.
RT : Which is why I turned to TW for a long time, the community helped me get away from real life issues.
RT : But right now, no I'm not really looking forward to anything at the moment

Ren : That said, any tips for the new players and upcoming factions?
RT : Find an older player to sponser their first couple months of playing.
RT : Finding them units, command, tbs, etc. that would be free of charge
RT : Then they can really enjoy the game without having to worry too much about stuff
RT : Oh, and ignore the politics. Those WILL make you never want to play the game.
RT : As far as factions goes? Make/join a new faction if you don't care for bigger ones, or pvp all the time. Just don't get discouraged if you never win/get overdropped on all the time.

Ren : Don't forget the 'not to get on RT's bad side' tip.
RT : Yes, don't get on my bad side.
RT : Its very easy to make the game... quite unenjoyable... once you know enough people. Though even on my bad side, at least I'll moderate fairly Smile
RT : Oh and one more thing. When someone tells you how to do something... listen, don't keep asking Razz

"If you play Justin Bieber songs backwards, you can hear messages from Satan. Even worse, if you play them forwards you hear Justin Bieber"

"Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna shut the f*** up"

Last edited by Renaisance on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
mzg
Intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for doing all these interviews. I am finding them fascinating.

I wouldn't mind doing an interview (if anyone cares), but I don't have and don't plan on getting instant chat/messaging/whatever...(the grouchy old man is coming out in me today...lol)

mzg
Katrar
Simple

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, these are awesome. Great job Ren.
Dfenceking2
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have interview u reni Smile let me know when u got some time Smile

Cuz u need to have one done

DFK

D-Fence it the best Offense!!!
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dfenceking2 wrote:
I am going to have interview u reni Smile let me know when u got some time Smile

DFK

Yeah, I'm going to have to talk to myself to get my own interview done right DFK?! Very Happy

"If you play Justin Bieber songs backwards, you can hear messages from Satan. Even worse, if you play them forwards you hear Justin Bieber"

"Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna shut the f*** up"
Stealth21
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaisance wrote:
Dfenceking2 wrote:

DFK

Yeah, I'm going to have to talk to myself to get my own interview done right DFK?! Very Happy

LOL!

Ren, ya know your not allowed to quote? *Checks sig msg* Razz

_Chron
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth21 wrote:

LOL!

Ren, ya know your not allowed to quote? *Checks sig msg* Razz

_Chron

NO! Razz

Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanCipher shares his opinions on the game. we talk about his gaming experience, what he feels the game lacks and a few tips for newer players...

Ren : When did you start playing?
Cipher : When Dom was put into the game
Ren : No exact dates?
Cipher : March 11th 09
Cipher : The same day when Dom was added Smile

Ren : So how have you found your gaming experience so far?
Cipher : Ehh, well, I'd say it's been good, other then how weird my luck can get
Cipher : Like I always find relics when I have expensive meriting gear down, but I never find them when I don't.

Ren : So which aspect of the game do you currently enjoy the most?
Cipher : I would have to say that meriting on Konu is the most enjoyable for me, except when I lose a CS or a I unit.

Ren : You've been playing for a year thereabouts...any memorable experiences?
Cipher : Getting 2 EE/BZ/RH crews, and finding my 1st BE
Cipher : And when Power Ups showed up in DS, which spawned the 2 EE/BZ/RH crews I had.

Ren : Any people that you feel you owe something to? People whom you think have helped you out a lot
Cipher : RobOrd00, and Dark Leth helped me throughout my 1st year.
Cipher : RobOrd00 helped me along for my 1st few months, and Darkleth has helped me these last few months.

Ren : So what are you looking forward to in DS these days?
Cipher : Well, the new expansion of course.
Ren : Nothing other than that...?
Cipher : I'm not really sure if there is anything else i'm looking forward to.

Ren : Has there been anything that has contributed negatively to your gaming experience? Razz
Cipher : Some people on the red side, mainly SoulTaker.
Ren : Describe? Smile
Cipher : Well, awhile ago, I was lvling in my DWA with a SW+DV and I had a relic above me. Then he comes from below me and he killed it.
Ren : Well PvP is part of the game..

Ren : Anyhow, moving on, you've been part of PGF (and blue side) for some time. I'm sure you've seen RvB in action - what do you think about it
Cipher : Well, I have mixed feelings about it
Cipher : Most games have some sort of RvB, and I can deal with some of the RvB
Cipher : And then there's this RvB, where one side is trying to be the most powerful force in the game. which might explain why I've stuck with the blue side for awhile now
Cipher : Not becaue it's the biggest and most powerful, but because I feel like I belong with the players on the blue side.

Ren : Has the game ever stopped being fun for you since you started?
Cipher : Yes it has stopped being fun for me sometimes.
Cipher : Then after a bit of playing a bunch of other games that I like playing, I come back to DS to enjoy pictures beating the crap out of other pictures Very Happy

Ren : So what do you feel the game is lacking in, if any? Razz
Cipher : I find the game lacking in variety, it gets very repetitive with the pictures beating up other pictures.
Cipher : Something like missions or scenarios where between 3 and 5 players have to work together to beat it would help a lot.

Ren : Lastly, any tips for the newer players?
Cipher : 1st, spend a day or 2 on a training planet, then find a faction to take you in, like HoC, DE, and maybe PGFx
Cipher : 2nd, new players should spend time to get to know the other players in the game.
Cipher : 3rd, this is the most important here. Have Fun!

Last edited by Renaisance on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longtime player and PGF veteran JakeRadden takes some time off to discuss a few game-related issues..

Ren : How long have you been playing this game?
Jake : Let's see.
Jake : The "Join Date" on Jake_Radden is...
Jake : Date Joined: 08-17-05
Jake : However, before that, I played during the beta, and I base my real start time on my Forum join date.

Ren : Which is 9 July 2005?
Jake : And according to that it's 07-09-05
Jake : Haha yeah, sorry, I had to look it up.

Ren : Okay, so you've been playing since Beta - what do you think of your own personal DS career since then?
Jake : It's been a lot of ups and downs.
Jake : As some of the older players will know, it has by no means been a stable 5 years.
Jake : And while my primary faction has always been PGF, there have been times where I've been outside of it.
Jake : My interest in DS fluctuates wildly, and sometimes I have been known to disappear for months at a time
Jake : As for playing the game, I've seen amazing times, wheere I could have fun on this game every single day, come and go with the times, with updates, and with changes in the player body dynamic in this game.
Jake : All the way down to times when I simply have no interest in dropping to any planet, regardless of resources, and just feel bored with the game

Ren : You've publicly announced quitting the game once (forum thread still there I reckon), got Jake_Radden banned and decided to disappear, only to return as Disturbia - why did you make a new account instead of getting Frizz to unban Jake_Radden?
Jake : I knew you were going to ask that question Smile
Ren : Yep I was Smile
Jake : There were a lot of reasons. I was going through some things on a personal level that I'd rather not talk about, but I was mostly just really irritated with the game and felt I needed a fresh start.
Jake : In simplest terms, it was a ragequit.
Jake : Disturbia, in my eyes, was a way for me to make a new name for myself, a way to start over
Jake : But after 6 months of putting on a different personality every day on the game, I realized I couldn't keep the ruse up.
Jake : And I didn't want to any more
Jake : JakeRadden is who I AM online
Jake : He's the online identity that best fits my real-world self, and it's something I hate to live without in such a game as DS
Jake : I have tried since then to get Frizz to allow me to switch back to Jake_Radden (Since J_R and JR are almost the same level +-10), but unfortunately that is not in the cards

Ren : So what's the difference between the two names apart from the _?
Jake : Jake_Radden has sentimental value to me, and I know that sounds stupid.
Jake : From the beta where CBX taught me to play (by telling me to go read the wiki) to the rise of PGF, to the rise of the Guild of Light, the fall of GOL, the entire saga with DreamHand and the Gospel of Taris..
Jake : So many things happened on that account
Jake : so many battles, so many player interactions
Jake : I enjoyed so much time, so much of the game on that account, and I miss it

Ren : You've been one of the leaders of PGF for quite some time - what do you feel about being part (and leader) of such a historically rich faction?
Ren : After all PGF was one of the beta factions.
Jake : Well, it's been a complicated road.
Jake : But all through that road, PGF has almost felt like home to me.
Jake : Having sat with PGF through so much, I feel as though the name itself, the stigma and air that surrounds it, has taken on a personality.
Jake : From the days of the insane lag-script accusations, to Yaroslavvb's calculated destruction of the Guild of Light
Jake : for so long, all of these events have taken place under the banner of PGF
Jake : To lead a faction like this, it's absolutely fantastic.
Jake : PGF's power comes and goes, it grows and wanes, but it always, always been there.
Jake : And, to be honest, I don't think of myself as much of a leader. I just try to give guidance where I can and to help the faction out in any way I can

Ren : You have a long history with the game - do you have any particular experiences that you cherish or remember very well?
Jake : Oh yes.
Jake : By far, my favorite time in this game was the few months of DreamHand's peak activity
Jake : When he was actively writing the Gospel of Taris
Jake : The most wealthy, fruitful of any fan fiction I've ever seen about this game (No offense to any other writers Very Happy )
Jake : It took hold of a number of players
Jake : We spoke in chat in complicated verse, mannered after the language in DreamHand's writing, we analyzed the texts, and we almost created a religion out of it
Jake : Players all over the map were "Deploying in the Name of Taris"
Jake : Aside from that time, there have been a few others.
Jake : Namely, having met some of my closest in-game friends in person
Jake : So far there have been only two, the other two Alexes (DarkLeth and 1ron), but there are many others I hope to have the chance to meet

Ren : So which of the new factions do you feel have the potential to be a new superpower in the future?
Jake : Oh, that's easy, Harbingers of Chaos.
Jake : It's a group of older, organized players who have been playing games togethers for years.
Jake : Their entrance into DropShock will spell a new age if they continue to play
Jake : And by older I mean their average age is something like 28
Jake : They may be new to DS itself but they have a massive amount of experience in team-based games, coming from Neveron, and I can see them dominating DS in a year or two.

Ren : You've said that your activity on this game fluctuates wildy - what is usually the reason?
Jake : Uh, I have a short attention span?
Jake : I don't know, really.
Jake : It has a lot to do with the updates that come out of Frizz's workshop, as well as whatever else is going on at the time
Jake : For example, Starcraft 2 recently came out, and I'm not playing DS as much.

Ren : So, with the current game's status as a base, what do you think is lacking that would make the game more fun?
Jake : Loaded question, let's see.
Jake : I could talk for hours about this one point Smile

Ren : Summarize! Smile
Jake : But FP gain is wildy messed up.
Jake : Too much FP from some planets and too little from others.
Jake : Frizz has pushed the game away from army combat, the only thing I'm actually decent at, as well as restrictions.
Jake : Trumpetguy and I agree that there are too many restrictions on this game
Jake : You can't do this here, but you can do it there, you can't drop this here, you can only drop 1 of this, you can't do this, if you're this big you get this, etc

Ren : So would restrictions not create variety in this game? After all it means that not everything can drop to every planet.
Jake : Restrictions do create variety.
Jake : I just believe we had plenty of variety before this recent rash of incredibly strict restrictions.
Jake : I'm not for 100% de-restriction
Jake : I just think the current restrictions are overused and need to be toned back. Go look at the "Deploy" screen. Just read all the restrictions on every planet. It takes forever.

Ren : That said, PGF has been part of almost every major conflict in the game, in what is usually called the RvB conflict - against GoL, against Affliction, against Phoenix Rising, against Deliverance and currently against Elite Resistance - what do you feel has contributed to the long term longevity of PGF?
Jake : I'm not sure, really
Jake : It has something to do with a loyal player base of older players
Jake : I mean, with other factions, people still leave, wander around, etc over time
Jake : But it always seems like a few players are in PGF, are fighting for PGF, and are carrying the torch, regardless of what's going on.
Jake : A lot of credit has to be given to Darkleth, he has not let this faction crumble.
Jake : Over the years he has put his blood and life into this faction

Ren : Also regarding this, what do you feel about the RvB conflict that has been in this game for five years, albeit with different factions?
Jake : Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Jake : I feel like people get far too partisan.
Jake : Just because you're in Resurrected, or Elite Resistance, or whatever, doesn't mean we can't be friends.
Jake : People turn enemies into monsters.
Jake : But right now the RvB system isn't working, it needs tweaking, which will come.
Jake : It's been a long time since it was anything like stable
Jake : It's never actually been stable.

Ren : Going on though, what do you propose would be a probable solution to this issue? Some have argued that a third side is sorely needed - what do you think?
Jake : Third sides never really work
Jake : Purple ends up destroying red or blue and becoming red or blue.
Jake : Either that or they fight viciously for a few weeks/months and fade away.
Jake : Anything else, I'm not sure how Frizz is going to fix it.

Ren : Lastly, do you have any tips for younger players as well as younger factions?
Jake : Do whatever is fun.
Jake : Don't forget this is a game, where we're all supposed to have fun.
Jake : Too many people take this game far too seriously and don't have fun anymore.

Ren : So what do they have? Razz
Jake : I know I myself have fallen victim to this, to taking the game seriously and getting even emotionally involved, to the point of hating people based just on their names and how they play a stupid game.
Jake : It's just a game.
Jake : Take it lightly, live it lightly, and enjoy it for as long as you can.

takoshi515
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, great thread! I'm enjoying it fully.
Marine
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
Jake : Just because you're in Resurrected, or Elite Resistance, or whatever, doesn't mean we can't be friends.

greengecko
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine wrote:
Jake wrote:

agreed wholeheartedly

note to renny also: make my text green Wink

wannabe121
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaisance wrote:

Jake : Oh yes.
Jake : By far, my favorite time in this game was the few months of DreamHand's peak activity
Jake : When he was actively writing the Gospel of Taris
Jake : The most wealthy, fruitful of any fan fiction I've ever seen about this game (No offense to any other writers Very Happy )
Jake : It took hold of a number of players
Jake : We spoke in chat in complicated verse, mannered after the language in DreamHand's writing, we analyzed the texts, and we almost created a religion out of it
Jake : Players all over the map were "Deploying in the Name of Taris"

Oh, dear lord, I had forgotten all about that era! ^_^ Definitely some of the best times, when Dreamhand was around.
If these nukes are north korean, implement them anyway. They wont get 3 squares before tripping on a rock and turning into salvage.
takoshi515
Intermediate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with the links from Kunjuro and on. Of course, I just scroll down and find the interviews myself, but just in case you care about fixing them.
Renaisance
Advanced

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll fix them bad links Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: