FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Report a Bug & Common Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mallen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: How to Report a Bug & Common Issues Reply with quote

Just a general notice to anyone posting about bugs,

Please give some sort of details as to what was actually going on at the time the bug occured, things like was there any lag at the time? did you do something you don't normally do? (like cancelling commands)

The more details you can provide the better, if you have an idea of what might be causing the bug, deploy to wulf, or a training planet and test it out, if you can provide detailed instructions to replicate the bug, Frizz will have a much easier time solving the problem.

Also, before posting a bug, please look through other recent posts, as another player may well have experienced a similar problem, that way you can simply add your own findings in a suitble topic. If there is nothing recent or suitible then of course post a new topic, but it does help if everything about one bug is in one place.

LASTLY, make sure the title of your post accurate describes your bug, titles like "huh?" ... "bug!" ... and "lag!" do not help players or someone trying to fix your bug.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

As for the common issues there are three major ones that crop up often:

1. "I can't log in - it says i must wait 24-hours":
This piece of coding is in place to avoid multi-accounts. You can send a message in-game, or through this forum to Frizz. Who should be able to sort out the problem.

2. "I keep getting lag, it's costing me units":
If you keep getting lag at the same time, it is likely that a server back-up or similar is running, simply avoid being deployed at this time. For other cases please refer to this post:
http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?t=3991

3. "Upload Data Terrain doesn't work properly":
This has come up a lot recently, i'm adding it here because it's not a bug, but an issue of how commands work. It is also quite challenging to explain, especially if you want to answer quickly.
As stated, it's all about how commands work, you need to understand that they take effect in the turn you issue them, not in the next turn. This means that ordering the command Upload Data Terrian effects your controlled speed immeadiately, and you will see the effects in the turn that you issue the command. (as is shown in the unit's status)
For similar reasons, Upload Data Terrain will not have any effect if you cannot see that command issued on the unit. This may seem illogical, as a command issued in turn 2, seems to alter the effects of movement issued in turn 1, but it is consistent with all other commands - and means that you can check whether the command is active of the status panel and unit quick-stats.
If this all still seems "wrong" to you, think of it as a unit moving quickly one turn, and then taking action (in the form of the command) to deal with the high speed as it begins to shoot. After all, it doesn't matter how unstable a unit is when moving - as long as it can deal with it just as it starts shooting.
If you don't like this explanation - then you'll have to deal with it - but at least you know WHY you're getting 'odd to-hit results' and how to use the command to better effect.

Alternatively you could probably simplify it all to: To-Hit penalties for movement are based on the amount moved during the end of Last turn, and your controlled speed at the end of THIS turn.

If you are still having problems with this command. Try using it a turn later and judge the effects.

"Even now, now, very now, an old black ram is topping your white ewe" -- Othello, Act 1, Scene 1

Last edited by Mallen on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 am; edited 5 times in total
whtNnerdy
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now why didnt frizz put one of these up?

B3bomber
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because hes like me, used to ppl on the net actually having common sense. these days everyone and their grandmother can get on the net due to plug and play technologies.

script kiddie threats these days are funny... gonna hack your comp through you ip!!! me: you couldnt find your own ip let alone mine (its true, most people cant. they think 192.168.x.x is their ip...). a cookie for anyone who knows what that ip really is for:)

little short on that ip but u get the idea. u know, like 192.168.1.100 or something.
Kamron3
Intermediate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an ip is an Internet Protocal it "Geologically" locates your computer on the internet. ips come in any shape and size such as:
7.63.41.42 or 192.168.1.1(router or modem) and etc

Internet Protocol - A packet-based protocol for delivering data across networks

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (usually)

Net Host or Node
224. 24.53.107

Default IP: 127.0.0.1

Internal IP - A computers specific IP

I want my cookie now...

http://mpogd.com/games/game.asp?ID=3026 <<-- VOTE FOR TINYWARZ PEOPLE LETS BRING SEXY BACK!
Kamron3
Intermediate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHERES MY COOKIE?!

http://mpogd.com/games/game.asp?ID=3026 <<-- VOTE FOR TINYWARZ PEOPLE LETS BRING SEXY BACK!
B3bomber
Advanced

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it went stale cause i left it on the counter for whoever answered the post. im sure its that green fuzzy thing over there...
Vanoi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a extra note to due a couple events that has happened...

Yes, it's nice that you've tested these bugs out for us and all and that you've found of how to do it... but Exploits and Bugs are *reads though the ToS... well their punishable by something so... you better watch out...
marlie
Simple

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: cant log on Reply with quote

(deleted off-topic - CBX)
wannabe121
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er... this is a sticky on how someone is to report a bug, not for someone to say "ok this is a bug". Not to be rude, but make your OWN threads for bugs (unless there is a pre-existing thread that has that same EXACT bug on it), don't post them in stickys, because until it's unstickied, it's stuck, right at the top of the forum, waiting to be read...
If these nukes are north korean, implement them anyway. They wont get 3 squares before tripping on a rock and turning into salvage.
Mallen

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've edited this to include some common issues. Most importantly the Upload Data Terrain part. (but glancing over the forum to find a ealier post - i saw so many 24-hour rulings that i thought they needed a mention)

Hopefully this will help somewhat. If people are a bit unsure on my description with Upload Data Terrain. Feel free to comment and i'll try to make it easier to understand.

"Even now, now, very now, an old black ram is topping your white ewe" -- Othello, Act 1, Scene 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: