FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unit Colors Issue - Own/Destroyed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatMan
Simple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Unit Colors Issue - Own/Destroyed Reply with quote

One of the aspects that's often overlooed by beta testing is when none of the testers are colorblind. For most this isn't a problem but it can really turn off some potential gamers in the long run. The units you control (yellow) during deployment and the ones that are out of comission from damage (green) are almost identical to the colorblind eye. I've playtested for many games (board and PC) and this has come up from time to time. A slight change would really increase the overall playability of the game as the current colors are (as mentioned) very close. Thank you for considering this change

CatMan
GrimSweeper
Simple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, turn 'dead' units from yellow to gray?
CatMan
Simple

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrimSweeper wrote:
So, turn 'dead' units from yellow to gray?

As I mentioned the colors are quite similar, my colorblindness isn't nearly as bad as some but I have to really take a second to look at the units to distinguish the yellow from the green. In this game time isn't very plentiful so you don't want to waste any of it!

Gray units? That sounds good to me, either that or leave the units the original color they were before destruction but have a border around them or maybe make the units themselves gray and leave the main color as is. I'd like to hear the thoughts of others on the board as well. Thanks everyone!

CatMan
CatMan
Simple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized the color issue is not only on the planets in regards to units but also on the Manage Forces/Units page the orange bar is visible but the difference between the yellow and green are barely visible to the "colorblind eye". Just something to consider for the games display in the future as I might be the only one who currently notices this. (Or doesnt notice it?) Wink

CatMan
Frizz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've worked with a few colorblind people ... one problem is that there is a range of color blindness (if that's a word). Some people can make out make out certain colors, while others can't - it's tricky to make sure everyone can see everything, while still making the game look nice.

That said, I do like the idea of dead units being grey, I'll try it out when I get the chance Very Happy ..

Tinybucks to Catman,
_f
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: