FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we give "Open Source" another shot?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khaibar
Advanced

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Can we give "Open Source" another shot? Reply with quote

Frizz clearly has no interest in selling the game to anyone; something we can't but respect and understand. So Any offers from myself or anyone to purchase the game will hold no result.

So I though to try another approach to bring the game back to life; let's give OS another shot.

In 2012, Frizz decided to give the concept of open source a shot and let the community participate in the development of the game. In the beginning it was a great experience. We fixed some bugs, we added some features, we added more options to the arenas etc... we even did silly stuff like http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?t=14921

But things started to slow down and go down hill until the whole thing just stopped.

At the end of 2014 Frizz said he wanted to sell the game as he just doesn't have the time anymore; not even for opensource. But that did not work out and it would seem per multiple sources that Frizz just doesn't want to sell. I cannot blame him, I wouldn't sell TWz either.

So it's 2019 now (dang..), and people are still here. Some play, some check, some haunt the library for nostalgia (don't judge me <.<). I truly believe that we can keep this game alive and going for at least 5 years if we can do updates again. Not 2008 alive but definitely more than 2018 alive if we can even call 2018 TWz alive.

Many updates can be made with simple tweaks to the code. Like 5 lines of code can make bandits unpredictable. Give some bandits a 0% X var and you'll find people dropping to salvage them. It's relatively easy to do small things that will get people to drop again. How to bring back big fights is a big discussion and doesn't belong to this thread.

A good structure to organize open source, to make sure it's all in check, to make sure it's balanced etc... perhaps a new council and nothing more than 15 minutes of Frizz's time per week or every other week to merge code commits; dev(s) and community would be responsible for the outcome etc..

It can all be negotiated with Frizz if he is interested in any way and if he can give us some of his time to keep TWz online.

It would be great if we can get feedback from Frizz, even if negative. A lot still want to play the game. There's just no reason to. And a good portion of them would drop every now and then if they start seeing updates again, even small ones.

PS: If someone can get Frizz's attention to this thread, it would be appreciated
Miyamoto
Simple

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New updates would certainly be nice. I play the game every now and then regardless. But yeah, they would certainly bring more people out of the woodworks. haha
Dark Leth
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in. Let me reach out to Frizz.
Off-World
Simple

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be better if it remake of this game in 3d?
Dark Leth
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO the top priorities should be:

Mobile app for iOS and Android
    Redesign of movement and firing mechanics to better support mobile
    Development of content for biannual expansion releases
xyzc2
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down to learn mobile app development (& whatever else is needed)!
Etien
Intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im up for anything,just to play again and enjoy those long wars with all you noobs Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BiWinning
Simple

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but I think Frizz has completely forgotten this game exists besides the fact that he has to pay monthly for server costs.

If someone could email him and get his attention on maybe giving someone access to a test server and being able to push code, we could breathe life into the game again.

All he would have to do is back the game up as it is right now and he could potentially be in close contact with the person or persons that he allows access to push code into the game.

I'm sure it's possible to allow someone to just a few files to make updates possible without compromising the server completely. Additionally, access to a test server would be necessary so that code could be properly tested before being deployed.

I would volunteer, but there's no way that Frizz would trust me given my past - which I completely understand - but I am a completely different person than I was 10 years ago (I was 15 then!). I would love to be a volunteer coder with no pay as long as it meant that this game could continue.

As far as I know, his email is themob@mobrulestudios.com. Someone could try contacting him there.
khaibar
Advanced

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that email even works anymore or maybe he doesn't check it.

I sent maybe 3 emails and nothing.

Access to a set of files on the server wouldn't do it and too impractical.

Again all what we need is less than 30 minutes every week, every other week, hell 30 minutes only at the end of each month where he merges pushed changes.

Game mechanics would become the responsibility of the dev(s) / Counsel / Community. Frizz's concern would be the server not blowing up (unless he wants to get involved again).

But I don't think it's happening sadly. This has been here for months and no reaction from Frizz.

Any luck in reaching out to frizz DL?
DarkStar18
Simple

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That email doesn't work. I tried emailing it and it just bounced with an error.

http://www.rewardgamer.com/ is/was run by MobRule studios, and I've sent a message via their "contact" tab, no response yet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: