FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas and Suggestions from the community for the buyer.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cruxader
Intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Ideas and Suggestions from the community for the buyer. Reply with quote

Okay, so I got (a little) optimistic when I saw Rose's post about the game having a potential buyer. I've been mulling over ideas for quite a long time on what may help to get the game right. I saw Dfenceking's and Ravneel's chat the other day, which was very similar to what I've been thinking, so I decided I'm gonna take the plunge and post about this.

Originally I was going to post a REALLY long post in Suggestions, but I've decided to break this up into digestible chunks making it easier to read, and easier for me to type... The other posts will be in the "Suggestions" section of the forum as I complete them.

Let me state for the record several things to keep in mind as you read through any of my posts:
1. These are just my opinions and suggestions.
2. I am no expert on game design.
3. To whomever buys the game - or if Frizz wants to keep it and fix it – I want you to make money, at least to pay the server costs.
4. I don't necessarily expect any of these suggestions or ideas to be used; however, I hope that they get the new owner, and the community, at least discussing it.
5. I hope others who are a part of the community will respond to these threads with their own suggestions! Remember to keep it cordial.

Now that we've got that out of the way you need to understand a bit more of where I am coming from. When I was active a couple years ago I actually helped my faction win the competition for referrals to the game, some of you may remember the competition. Frizz informed us that I had the most outside referrals. I tried hard to promote the game elsewhere. When I saw new referrals on my list, I emailed those who signed up under me, and invited any newbies at all, who happened to be online, into the faction. Myself and another faction mate (USFPutty – who no longer plays) would build units and mods to give to newbies FOR FREE, much better stuff than what the game starts you out with. I would send them a quick start email to get them into the game trying to save them a read through of labyrinthine Wiki articles. We even offered to help them get paid days if they ended up sticking around. Despite all of that, I would be willing to say we had a less than 10% retention rate, probably more like 5%. And by retention, I mean players who continued to play for more than a few weeks. That's not good.

With that said, I'm hoping that whomever buys the game realizes that it's going to need some fixing first, really before any new features are added.

In my opinion the game suffers from two fundamental flaws: lack of accessibility, and lack of balance.

I'll be updating the list below as I post about different subjects.
Unpaid Player Ideas http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?p=154954#154954
Combat Efficiency (CE) Overhaul http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?t=15778
Unit Overhaul http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?p=154959
Mod CE Modifier Overhaul http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?p=154960
Removal of Redundant Units http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?p=154963
Crew Overhaul http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?p=154970
Construx Ideas http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?p=154979
Planet Ideas http://forum.mobrulestudios.com/viewtopic.php?p=154988

Last edited by Cruxader on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 pm; edited 11 times in total
Dfenceking2
Elite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 1st off the wiki is dead I think now. Not sure if it can come back or not... I don't know how that works with the wiki. There needs to be a more learn while you play experience and less punishing experience.

I like your update list, but one thing that needs to be change is the deep rock, paper, and scissors game play that has been made. There has always been this game play with just weapon types such as missiles, energy, and ballistics. Now it is even deeper, with set ups to wipe out whole army's with half the numbers if you mod to win. This type of mods need to gone, it takes away the freedom of being creative and also breeds scouting then dropping according to your enemies load out. This has really made the unit pool go down, and I agree that units need a over haul, more in the way of units that actually balanced. Not used units are a lot, but again these all have uses or at least should be left in for variation.

The planets need to cut according to the size of the game, we can hide them as needed and not even change the code, but there are to many planets for the people we have. PvP and PvE should both be avaible and exclusive to some planets, but there should also be a lot of mixed planets with both like konu and zedus. dom just is not needed right now, and that whole planet needs to reworked.

a lot of work needs to be done in general... I personally think the community can fix a lot of the problems and promote a health environment for new players. It just comes at a cost, there needs to be a cost... we can not worry about FP any more, the other thing is that faction bonuses in my opion should come back in a sort of way.

factions should be unique and even more personally than intended, the faction trees should be more reflective of the faction and faction level tree should be more reflective to the late game commander tree.

I could go on and on, and maybe some people would not agree... but there is a lot of reasons why people started with the game then left. Not saying that any of them were the things stated above, but there is a lot to do no matter what.

hope we as a community can figure it out, cuz how ever things go down with the game. The next person is going to look to us to help, and we need to be here to help them.

DFK

D-Fence it the best Offense!!!
RoseThorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a quick reply to one issue, it is possible to bring back the wiki. The reason it's down isn't because the data is lost but because of a security upgrade the wiki provider did. Ours was never changed so it broke. It's still there and still possible to fix given a very small amount of time.
Elite

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoseThorn wrote:
Just as a quick reply to one issue, it is possible to bring back the wiki. The reason it's down isn't because the data is lost but because of a security upgrade the wiki provider did. Ours was never changed so it broke. It's still there and still possible to fix given a very small amount of time.

well can we fix it or is that a Frizz thing?

Battalia
Elite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to pop in my two cents; (And they aren't even worth that since I was de-modded for giving Frizz my two cents Rolling Eyes )

A big thing this game lacks is a log-in incentive. passive command is great, but what if you could get bonus command and perhaps even TB for logging in every week? You want players to log-in even if its just for the bonus. (multi-account abuse, I know)

Command to drop is a bad idea. You don't want to penalize players for playing, but keep it for evac. A penalty for running.

Get rid of shared strux. I said it when it came out, and I'll say it again. 100 players buying 1 strux box is better than 1 player buying 100. Frizz saw that only a few players were willing to drop money on Strux, so he made it so you had to own several copies to make them the "best". And it worked. Those who did buy strux, but them by the thousands. But then you end up with 10 or so players or factions who can build anything at max. Riveting gameplay right there. But then look at games like hearthstone. You don't share cards with one another. So why share strux? (building itself is a topic for another day.)

Lastly, I would highly recommend moving away from passive gameplay (aka, mining bases and nodes) to active gameplay. You should be rewarded for playing the game. Not for leaving a base with AI to play the game. Look at relics. They were done right.

Basically... There is a lot to do to fix the game. Some ideas may pan out. Others may not. The worst thing the new owner or Frizz can do is nothing.
Cruxader
Intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all.

Plan on bringing up most of what was mentioned above throughout my posts, as I get to them.
garrow
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see the mini-game that frizz promised for builders!

Also: Mass mod/Crew. I wouldn't mind being able to save a template for mods on units, kind of like a screen shot in-game of my setups that I can go through if this makes any sense.

Shak home world would be neat, I wouldn't mind seeing an FP overhaul and of course a use for UK.

I'd find it neat if UK was used to create new units in a future expansion pack.

I'll post more when I get time!

As Batt said, login rewards are huge in games now a days, I'd suggest having a weekly and monthly bonus.
Dfenceking2
Elite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoseThorn wrote:

Been trying to get the wiki back up to archive the data and put it on a free website for use in the future.

Apparently, it all has to do with Frizz and I can not help in the matter. At least this is what the wiki admins say...

DFK

Cruxader
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on this. Took a break over Christmas. Plan on continuing to update when I get time.
Cruxader
Intermediate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't forgotten about this. The Holidays, work and the fact that I'm probably needing to buy a car (BOO!) are causing some delays.
Cruxader
Intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruxader wrote:
Still haven't forgotten about this. The Holidays, work and the fact that I'm probably needing to buy a car (BOO!) are causing some delays.

See above. Didn't have to get a new car (Yay!), but of course I'm now swamped with other stuff for the time being.
RoseThorn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good that you didn't need to buy a new car!
Intermediate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoseThorn wrote:
That's good that you didn't need to buy a new car!

YES. Especially since I now have a bunch of unforeseen medical bills to pay. Very glad I didn't drop a down payment on a car AND get the medical bills!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: