FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: Chat Policies (A Reply to Rosethorn's Sticky)

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Hihahahalol
Advanced


Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Posts: 1184
Location: My Planet,Is Planet Earth*Terminator Voice*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Chat Policies (A Reply to Rosethorn's Sticky) Reply with quote

As everyone can see, Frizz no longer runs the game and everything that happens in the game currently is up to the community, also note that this is a small community with no new players. Also note that if you look at the "year marks" you will quickly figure that everyone in the community is 18+ so everyone here is mature

I believe it's up to the community to run the game at the current time until the new buyer arrives and as such i see no reason to apply most of the chat rules, since all of us know each other that well, i see no reason to put limitations on what we can say unless it's for something worth the limitation

here are the current active chat rules:

RoseThorn wrote:
Racist comments or "hate speech"

Comments of a personal nature that offend another person (Divulging or talking about someone else's personal information in chat.)

Chat spam, including talking in ALL CAPS (There are multiple variations of this. Basically, if someone asks you to stop spamming, stop or you will receive a Strike.)

Chat that attempts to circumvent the chat-filter (by adding a space, extra character, using a non-letter character, etc.) to attempt to use words that the filter would normally block

Any chat which would be rated PG-13 or greater

Falsely accusing another player of a Chat Policy violation

While discussing other games in Drop Shock chat / messages / posts is fine, advertising another game (posting links or making other one-sided promotions) in Drop Shock is not allowed

Posting links that are not to a Drop Shock related site

Personal Attacks (Using another person's personal information to attack them or making an offensive personal comment about someone else, these are comments that are made outside the context of the game.)

Note for Personal Attacks The player being attacked must request that the attacking player stop and that they feel this is a personal attack. This request must be done via the Chat method currently being used (ie. if the communication is in All Chat then they must make the request in All Chat.)


Here are the rules i suggest that we remove:

Quote:
Racist comments or "hate speech"

Chat that attempts to circumvent the chat-filter (by adding a space, extra character, using a non-letter character, etc.) to attempt to use words that the filter would normally block

Any chat which would be rated PG-13 or greater

Posting links that are not to a Drop Shock related site


I absolutely see no reason to mute someone for making a racist statement for example, we're all mature enough to know that it is just a joke, nobody in the community is a 12 year old that will take the joke seriously and go hate on a group of people just for a racist joke

Messing around the chat filter harms nobody

Also there is no problem with sex jokes if everyone is comfortable with it

Posting links? Seriously why was that even not allowed in the first place

Also multi accounts should not be muted (Xerge should be unmuted)

The new rules should be only these:

Quote:
Comments of a personal nature that offend another person (Divulging or talking about someone else's personal information in chat.)

Chat spam, including talking in ALL CAPS (There are multiple variations of this. Basically, if someone asks you to stop spamming, stop or you will receive a Strike.)

Falsely accusing another player of a Chat Policy violation

While discussing other games in Drop Shock chat / messages / posts is fine, advertising another game (posting links or making other one-sided promotions) in Drop Shock is not allowed

Personal Attacks (Using another person's personal information to attack them or making an offensive personal comment about someone else, these are comments that are made outside the context of the game.)

Note for Personal Attacks The player being attacked must request that the attacking player stop and that they feel this is a personal attack. This request must be done via the Chat method currently being used (ie. if the communication is in All Chat then they must make the request in All Chat.)


If there is a controversy on what the community wants, we can just make a Poll and i am pretty sure everyone will agree to removing the useless rules

and if there is a controversy on why should we run the game if it's owned by Frizz, it's because Frizz is not here. If you still think we should not do it because we are not the "rightful owners" of the game or something like that, go ahead contact Frizz, unless he objects i think this is how it should be

thoughts?
_________________


& The Statement Below is False &
& The Statement Above is True &

I am MIЯROR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vanoi
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2005
Posts: 1403
Location: Avoiding You (The Void)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or we as Chat Mods do as we see fit since it's Frizz who put us in our place. We will follow the Chat Policy to the fullest or slackest of that we wish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJiBjfvltQw
_________________
The person who will go to great lengths to fight boredom...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Hihahahalol
Advanced


Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Posts: 1184
Location: My Planet,Is Planet Earth*Terminator Voice*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanoi wrote:
Or we as Chat Mods do as we see fit since it's Frizz who put us in our place. We will follow the Chat Policy to the fullest or slackest of that we wish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJiBjfvltQw


I don't mind Chat Mods doing as they LOGICALLY see fit but seeing people being muted for #pe##dong#ing in chat is absurd and totally unnecessary, my objection is mostly with the mindset of "I enforce the law" which chat mods are currently picking up rather than the good ol "I am only trying to keep the chat fun for everybody"

That's why i discussed the current rules, if it has to be put into rules then this is how it should be. Sure it doesn't have to be officially changed or anything but at least it has to be taken by logic rather than by a set of rules that isn't compatible with our current community

Either the rules should change into more lax ones or the moderation mindset that RT is trying to spread shouldn't be applied when moderating the chat. (Remember that this thread is nothing but a reply to the sticky btw)
But that's only my opinion and of course it's ultimately up to the mods to do as they see fit, but why be annoying mods instead of pleasing the community?
_________________


& The Statement Below is False &
& The Statement Above is True &

I am MIЯROR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vanoi
Site Admin


Joined: 25 Aug 2005
Posts: 1403
Location: Avoiding You (The Void)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBX did nothing wrong! CBX for President... Seriously people complain too much about being muted.... It's been 11 years... Learn what's not acceptable in chat....

Seriously though CBX was the best mod... he was strict and followed the policy to the word.
_________________
The person who will go to great lengths to fight boredom...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Hihahahalol
Advanced


Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Posts: 1184
Location: My Planet,Is Planet Earth*Terminator Voice*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanoi wrote:
CBX did nothing wrong! CBX for President... Seriously people complain too much about being muted.... It's been 11 years... Learn what's not acceptable in chat....

Seriously though CBX was the best mod... he was strict and followed the policy to the word.


Times has changed and therefore rules should change

You can't use the politics of a nation from one thousand years ago and apply it to a modern nation just because the older nation was highly advanced back then, same goes with economics and other stuff

At the moment most of the current rules make no sense but to get people muted for no logical reason, i don't mind being strict with rules that do make sense every time they go into action. The current policies make no sense most of the time
_________________


& The Statement Below is False &
& The Statement Above is True &

I am MIЯROR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
khaibar
Advanced


Joined: 14 Dec 2007
Posts: 1141

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a 10 year old child actor can do/say it.. so can I

That should be the chat policy

But the pedong thing is way over the line... saying D**k is somewhat alright.. again a 10 year old can say it on TV... but showing something graphical is 18+ rating

In Rose's defense, people are posting it to taunt/challenge her. Big difference between an innocent "lol how is this here" and "lel... now mute me Very Happy"


Frizz should've given mods the power to remove images from the chat list or at least require a mod/admin approval on uploaded images before they go live.

birdy Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Walterohdim
Site Admin


Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1629
Location: Somewhere with lots of doors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khaibar wrote:


In Rose's defense, people are posting it to taunt/challenge her. Big difference between an innocent "lol how is this here" and "lel... now mute me Very Happy"


Frizz should've given mods the power to remove images from the chat list or at least require a mod/admin approval on uploaded images before they go live.

birdy Smile


Yah don't play the lets argue with the mods game. It doesn't make it fun for us when we log in. I take modding as a responsibility nothing else. I also agree chat images should have had some sort of pre-approval process, as often they are used to taunt people and just shock for the fun of shocking. Remember there is another person on the other side of trolling. Trolling is fun, but you are reducing the fun of others.

This is the guideline I will continue to use for the chat, does what one person or group is typing in the chat degrade the user experience of a reasonable other member of the community? Yes that takes a lot of judgement, but the argument seems to be we are all mature here so lets use that maturity.

I have been reading and studying a lot on ethics lately and I continue to gravitate to arguments with broad guidelines of ethical behavior such as treat others as you would like to be treated, and continue to move away from prescriptive or legalistic forms.

Yes I am a total nerd.

Walterohdim
_________________
Wannabee historian of Tinywarz. Through the building of myth we will build community. M. Scott Peck

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Walterohdim
Site Admin


Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1629
Location: Somewhere with lots of doors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Chat Policies (A Reply to Rosethorn's Sticky) Reply with quote

Hihahahalol wrote:
the community is 18+ so everyone here is mature



Just because a place is 18+ doesn't mean it can't be a safe place. The rules are not about limiting fun, but about not being hostile to women and other people from marginalized groups.

If you want to troll for fun there are several platforms with that purpose. The majority of players here are not here to troll and the trolling makes playing and especially showing up in the chat less fun.

Walterohdim
_________________
Wannabee historian of Tinywarz. Through the building of myth we will build community. M. Scott Peck

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Battalia
Elite


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 3052
Location: Canada, eh?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone can see, Frizz no longer runs the game and everything that happens in the game currently is up to the community, also note that this is a small community with no active players. Also note that if you look at the "planets" you will quickly figure that everyone in the community is a newb so everyone here is garbage.

I believe it's up to the community to run the game at the current time until the new buyer arrives and as such i see no reason to not have my way with most of the planets, since all of us know each other that well, i see no reason to put limitations on what we can drop unless it's for something worth the limitation that benefits only me.

here are the current active chat rules:

Frizz wrote:

You must buy or build your own units.

You must drop said units to a planet to engage in gameplay.

You must beat other players or AI units to gain the salvage, or try other subtle methods to recover loot.


Here are the rules i suggest that we remove:


Quote:
You must buy or build your own units.

You must beat other players or AI units to gain the salvage, or try other subtle methods to recover loot.



I absolutely see no reason I should have to put in effort to get units or crews. For example, we're all mature enough to know that it is just time consuming, nobody in the community is a 12 year old that has enough time to actually acquire all their gear by legitimate ways.

Messing around the construction tab harms nobody.

Also there is no problem with unlimited terrabucks if everyone is comfortable with it.

Construx? Seriously why was that even needed in the first place.

Also crews should be recruited with 3 merits. (all non 3 merit crews should get 3 merits.)
The new rules should be only these:


Quote:
Unlimited resources for all.

Everyone gets 1 million paid days.

Killing my units is a violation of the new game.

While discussing PGF in Drop Shock chat / messages / posts is fine, advertising another faction (posting links or making other one-sided promotions) in Drop Shock is not allowed

Over Drops (Using too many units for me to win causing me to retreat or lose.)

Note for Over Drops The player being attacked must request that the attacking player undeploy, and that they feel this is a over drop. This request must be done via the Chat method currently being used (ie. if the drop is in Hadeas then they must make the request in Hadeas planet chat.)



If there is a controversy on what the community feels, we can just make a Poll and i am pretty sure I will ignore you anyways.

and if there is a controversy on why should we run the game if it's owned by Frizz, it's because Frizz is not here. If you still think we should not do it because we are not the "rightful owners" of the game or something like that, go ahead contact Frizz, unless he objects i think this is how it should be.

thoughts?
_________________
Take care all. Goodbye.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hihahahalol
Advanced


Joined: 28 Oct 2010
Posts: 1184
Location: My Planet,Is Planet Earth*Terminator Voice*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Chat Policies (A Reply to Rosethorn's Sticky) Reply with quote

Walterohdim wrote:
Hihahahalol wrote:
the community is 18+ so everyone here is mature



Just because a place is 18+ doesn't mean it can't be a safe place. The rules are not about limiting fun, but about not being hostile to women and other people from marginalized groups.

If you want to troll for fun there are several platforms with that purpose. The majority of players here are not here to troll and the trolling makes playing and especially showing up in the chat less fun.

Walterohdim


The idea of the rules are not about limiting fun, but what some of them actually are in the current state of the game is nothing but limiting fun

So I am assuming you're objecting about the racist stuff
Well, If you're over 18 you should be mature enough to not take offence to a racist statement... Even a 12 years old finding something like this offensive would be considered childish.
It may be cultural differences but I personally just laugh at SJWs and feminists when they get "triggered" over general statements.. whatever that statement is. If i say for example "all men are pigs" and somebody took it on a personal level, then his way of thinking is very tribal and excessively associative

TRIGGER WARNING .... eww can't believe i said that... well nobody should get triggered anyway
Women are devoid of emotions as much as zombies are, they bleed for a full week straight and don't die.. They also love dicks more than nice people
Good men doesn't exist, all of them are cheaters and most of them are criminals.. They are dicks too but women love dicks so all is fine and dandy
Arabs are pedophiles and camel lovers, they are so backwards that they still drink camel piss as treatment to illnesses
All americans are racist, just look at the media
All atheists are mentally retarted, How can something come from nothing?
Muslims are terrorists ALLAHU AKBAR
Jews are psychopathic serial killers who eat baby foreskins and then shout "holocaust" in defense. they deserved worse than Hitler
Black people are stupid... oh they are also genetically ugly and sound like Spongebob
Aliens suck, Abduct your own people you cowards! OR OBAMA WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR EXISTENCE ON OUR PLANET, WE KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU!!!
PGF sucks...... sorry can't say more or I might get beheaded because this is just too racist

If anybody was offended by any of this... then i feel sorry for him because he is overly sensitive. He needs to grow some immunity because such statements are everywhere - oyea of course i used this topic as an excuse to throw away some racism XD

I am not against the rules that are to prevent trolling or annoying other players but i am against the useless ones (no sex/racism/links.. etc in chat) also note that if sex/racism/links were used to directly harass someone then this should fall under the personal attack category, but if it were used as jokes (which most of the time aren't funny tbh since sex and race jokes are overused) then where is the problem? i don't see how does that make someone uncomfortable

Also @ bat, i am the kind of man that admits when he is defeated... well done I totally agree with what you said you have convinced me with a better version of the chat rules than my own, i have no counter-arguments because your argument is just so perfect but wouldn't it be better to make me the leader of PGF first?
_________________


& The Statement Below is False &
& The Statement Above is True &

I am MIЯROR
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Battalia
Elite


Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 3052
Location: Canada, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand your position, the thing is Frizz sets things up in his favour. Yea, it is stupid that people yell at GAP for having a white girl leaning on a black girl calling racist. And the thing is, if the black girl was leaning on a white girl they would be calling out that GAP is saying black people need to lean on white people. There simply is no winning.

So to that end, most of those rules are simply there to prevent THAT person who DOES get offended, then writes to Frizz and demands he do something.

I understand that the game is all but alive anymore, but that is what faction chat has always been. A safe haven from mods. Keep the twisted stuff in there and you should be fine Razz
_________________
Take care all. Goodbye.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Walterohdim
Site Admin


Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1629
Location: Somewhere with lots of doors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chat Policies (A Reply to Rosethorn's Sticky) Reply with quote

Hihahahalol wrote:
Walterohdim wrote:
Hihahahalol wrote:
the community is 18+ so everyone here is mature



Just because a place is 18+ doesn't mean it can't be a safe place. The rules are not about limiting fun, but about not being hostile to women and other people from marginalized groups.

If you want to troll for fun there are several platforms with that purpose. The majority of players here are not here to troll and the trolling makes playing and especially showing up in the chat less fun.

Walterohdim


The idea of the rules are not about limiting fun, but what some of them actually are in the current state of the game is nothing but limiting fun

So I am assuming you're objecting about the racist stuff
Well, If you're over 18 you should be mature enough to not take offence to a racist statement... Even a 12 years old finding something like this offensive would be considered childish.
It may be cultural differences but I personally just laugh at SJWs and feminists when they get "triggered" over general statements.. whatever that statement is. If i say for example "all men are pigs" and somebody took it on a personal level, then his way of thinking is very tribal and excessively associative

TRIGGER WARNING .... eww can't believe i said that... well nobody should get triggered anyway
Women are devoid of emotions as much as zombies are, they bleed for a full week straight and don't die.. They also love dicks more than nice people
Good men doesn't exist, all of them are cheaters and most of them are criminals.. They are dicks too but women love dicks so all is fine and dandy
Arabs are pedophiles and camel lovers, they are so backwards that they still drink camel piss as treatment to illnesses
All americans are racist, just look at the media
All atheists are mentally retarted, How can something come from nothing?
Muslims are terrorists ALLAHU AKBAR
Jews are psychopathic serial killers who eat baby foreskins and then shout "holocaust" in defense. they deserved worse than Hitler
Black people are stupid... oh they are also genetically ugly and sound like Spongebob
Aliens suck, Abduct your own people you cowards! OR OBAMA WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR EXISTENCE ON OUR PLANET, WE KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU!!!
PGF sucks...... sorry can't say more or I might get beheaded because this is just too racist

If anybody was offended by any of this... then i feel sorry for him because he is overly sensitive. He needs to grow some immunity because such statements are everywhere - oyea of course i used this topic as an excuse to throw away some racism XD

I am not against the rules that are to prevent trolling or annoying other players but i am against the useless ones (no sex/racism/links.. etc in chat) also note that if sex/racism/links were used to directly harass someone then this should fall under the personal attack category, but if it were used as jokes (which most of the time aren't funny tbh since sex and race jokes are overused) then where is the problem? i don't see how does that make someone uncomfortable

Also @ bat, i am the kind of man that admits when he is defeated... well done I totally agree with what you said you have convinced me with a better version of the chat rules than my own, i have no counter-arguments because your argument is just so perfect but wouldn't it be better to make me the leader of PGF first?



You sound like a Milo Gamergate CLown/Clone. I think this community is better then that.

Walterohdim
_________________
Wannabee historian of Tinywarz. Through the building of myth we will build community. M. Scott Peck

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
whtNnerdy
Advanced


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 1703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to weigh in here. In my opinion, I can agree with most of the rules being suggested to get rid of EXCEPT racist comments and hate speech. It's disgusting that you would assume that everyone making such comments are only joking. Also, making those jokes are part of the issue of keeping racism and hate speech around in the first place. Learn to hold your tongue if you don't have anything decent to say. We shouldn't be joking about a person's skin color or where they are from, using stereotypes as a form of joking in regards to a person's skin color or where they are from, and blaming a person's actions based on a person's skin color or where they are from. Just because you think you know someone online doesn't mean that you actually know them. Even if you think that someone is making a joke about such things, it's quite possible they are being serious and that's what keeps these issues around instead of killing them.

I'd also like to include the issue with making rape jokes as well. Rape is not something to joke about. It is not funny. And making said jokes is part of the issue as well. You joke about it, you think it's ok to rape because it's just a joke right? No. Rape is not cool, it's not funny, and it is definitely not an accepted part of society. Learn how to censor yourself so that you can become a better part of society including the online society.
_________________
Cheat away my minions cheat away

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group