FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intro needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puschkin
Simple

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Intro needed Reply with quote

Heya,
I stumbled over Tinywarz many years ago but never got to actually play it which I now somewhat regret since the browsergame industry has gone down the drain. All the good games died and the market is flooded with greedy and stupid programs that don't even deserve to be called "games".

So, today I remembered Tinywarz and hoped it was still alive. Well, as far as I can tell it is but it got sold, is now called Drop Shock and suffers from both of the most frequent problems in browsergames:
a) Struggling to be profitable and thus swamped with micropayments
b) Too many years of play without reset gives new players troubles to catch up.

Well, if you don't mind, I have a few questions about DS. All I know is that actual combat is turn based and that you drop on planets.

1) During the time you don't drop - do you have to manage your base, can you be attacked? The true question behing this: If I don't want to play, can I just not log in?

2) How important are clans/allies/howevertheyarecalledhere ? I don't have the time for clans and frankly I don't like them to begin with.

3) I read something about a fee of 12 bucks for an entire year which sounds more than acceptable. Are there any more things I "have" to pay? How severe are the P2W options?

4) What's with the gap between new and old players - are there any special modes? Are battles completely hopeless or just difficult? I do have patience and don't mind losing a lot as long as there is progress and an occasional success here and there.

5) Does it make sense to start now to check things out or should I wait it out to see if there will be resets, new servers etc.?

6) Is there any documentation/rules/manual? The link to the wiki on the main page returns a parse error ...

Veseo.
Puschkin
Simple

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I created an account and now I have a specific question:

What the hell is Construx? I have exactly zero of that in my storage but I need at least one to construct any unit or mod. And even though I have none, I can still produce unit (provided I have enough ore) since I have shared construx ... shared with whom!? I was put in a default faction but I am the only member - do I get shared construx from there? How much?
wannabe121
Advanced

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start by saying sorry that nobody else has come along and helped. The game's been on hibernation for the past few years (with a tentative awakening come the start of next year as the rights to the game are transferred). A lot of the experienced players have gotten bored with the lack of updates and left and only periodically check in.

Tinywarz is Drop-Shock, for better of worse. The Shadow Tactics update that added in stealth units got a huge amount of community backlash since the stealth mechanic was ridiculously one-sided: any unit could have stealth and they would never be revealed unless you were in the same square as them. And I mean the small, 10x10 squares; not the quadrants or sectors or whatever nomenclature we're using for not-unit sized spaces. So, Frizz tried to do some distancing from negative PR and changed the game from TW to TerraDominus to, now, Drop-Shock.

1) You can log in even if you don't want to play. Personal units, bases, and items are only at risk when you decide you want to drop to a planet. Faction bases, however, will remain on whatever planet they're dropped on until they are destroyed, undeployed, or the planet cycles.

2) TW's been largely Red vs Blue in its Faction system, but those two juggernauts have died off due to inactivity (along with almost any other factions in the game). You'll want to sign on with one in order to see when your friends are online and potentially get some faction bonuses (bonus shields/armor, better salvage chance, etc.) but you will never be forced to move from a default faction.

3) I'm very curious where you got that statistic from. Anyone can play the game for free for as long as they want; there are no annual or monthly subscription feeds. There is, however, a "super-user" mode known as TerraDays that will allow you to use units with the Unique quality units and mods, as well as allow you to drop bases to planets (which other people in your faction can then drop to). This super-user mode costs 30 premium currency per month, which you can make and trade on the market or purchase with real-world cash. A years worth of TerraDays costs 13$ USD and includes an additional 60 TerraBucks premium currency (so you can extend that out to 14 months if you so choose). It's the best deal as far as time:price ratio goes, but you can also buy a month's worth of TerraDays for 2$ USD if you just want to test the waters.

4) The gap is, at least, 130+ levels and 5+ years of experience and resources. I joined a year after the game was released and I still had to be sponsored by a training faction (which have all since become defunct due to a lack of fresh blood) to get a head start. Battles vs the AI are prety simple and easy up until ~LvL30, at which point they'll use bigger and tougher units. Konu and Esika help bridge the gap and give you a taste of things to come until that level, and can serve as backup training planets if you find your units getting chewed up by Howitzers and Ballistas. PvP, assuming you can find any, is practically impossible until you are within 30 to 50 levels of that 130-level cap, since the game runs out of skills to give you after that point (but still lets you gain EXP).

5) Start now and get a feel for the game, but I wouldn't get too attached to anything you receive or use. While the prospective owner played TinyWarz (and TerraDominus, and Drop-Shock...) themselves, they haven't released any information about their plans for the game or what direction then intend on taking it.

6) There is an equally outdated animated Tutorial hidden away... somewhere? (EDIT: It is in the upper task bar at the far right side, labeled "?") I think there is a chat command like :tutorial: which links to it, but it's been at least two years since I last checked, so I could be wrong. The Wiki was never really updated after the last Construx update and as such would have had a lot of outdated or contradictory information there anyways.

7) Construx are blueprints for crafting and creating your own copies of units and mods from the library using Command and Ore. You need at least one of the item you want to make to have it show up in the Construction tab and 10 Construx to be able to make it at maximum efficiency. There are additional benefits for extra Construx for Units, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms that I can't accurately talk about since I didn't craft anymore than I had to.
Default Factions have a very, very small pool of shared construx they give out to anyone who remain in that faction. Emphasis bold: If you leave Rebel Combine or the United Federation, you lose access to that Strux until you leave whatever faction you joined and get placed back in there. On the plus side, you gain access to whatever Construx your new faction has access to once you leave RC or UF, and they tend to be better stocked. Whatever % Efficiency you see to the right of the item you want to create is how many construx you have out of 10; to 50% is 5 Construx, 10% is 1, etc..
If these nukes are north korean, implement them anyway. They wont get 3 squares before tripping on a rock and turning into salvage.
Puschkin
Simple

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

Follow on and new questions:

Cool Is there any way to get my own construx besides having to be in a faction and besides buying some for cash? For example are there bandits that drop them?

9) Do I risk a lot on my first drop or can I just go ahead? I am worried since I need ore for new units and the only way to get ore is through drops, so if my army gets wiped, I am stuck in a dead end?

10) in relation to 9), is the 1-minute-clock-per-turn in effect for my first missions, too? This is my biggest concern - I am an experienced wargamer but 1 minute seems harsh when I am still fiddling with controls. Also, 1 minute basically means I have to memorize unit stats and commands before I drop ...

More later, I have to leave now.
wannabe121
Advanced

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re 8: You can purchase construx with TerraBucks at ~20/crate. Each crate is a random assortment of 6 simples, 3 intermediate, and one advanced construx (I think? This is another area I haven't used in a long time).

9) So long as you remain in RC or UF, if you go to the Faction tab, you can click on the "Request Starter Units" link and get another 1-slot utility vehicle and ~3 one-slot combat vehicles, in case you take losses on your first few drops and can't yet afford to build new ones.

10) Yup; every turn, regardless of planet, is one minute. There's been some complaints by the community about it, but a few community members looked at the source code once DS went open-source and realized it was hard-baked into the engine. In order to make variable turn timers, they'd essentially have to build a brand new game.
If these nukes are north korean, implement them anyway. They wont get 3 squares before tripping on a rock and turning into salvage.
ravneel
Intermediate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pushkin,

Hope wannabe has been of great help to you. If you need any more questions answered or if you need any sort of help please do message me in game. I use the same username there.
Blair [7:29pm]
I see my ass and it looks like your face Razz

Darkc35ar [7:27pm]
look in da mirror and ull get owned =P

Blair [7:25pm]
owned

Darkc35ar [7:23pm]
omfg wrong chat xD

Darkc35ar [7:23pm]
woot 1.4k shak exp so far
tomohawk
Advanced

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're actually playing it's easy to get assistance and free stuff.
In addition to that, if coached, you could easily close the level gap in a month or two with the new experience bonus modifiers.

Hope that helps.

Death before dishonor.

*not funny*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Drop Shock Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: